Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen
"Freya," Rowan murmured in my ear, his voice as soft as silk.

"Mm," I murmured back, my eyes closed tightly shut as he slowly kissed up my neck.

He pressed his body more firmly down into mine, every inch of his hard body melding into my soft one. One of his hands was placed somewhere in my hair while the other braced himself up, framing my face.

"Open your eyes," he ordered, biting gently at my ear lobe as he did.

I slowly let my eyes flutter open, staring into the intensity of his own. I gulped at the look in his eyes, the cloud of lust.

"I want you to see everything I do to you," he informed me, as he placed butterfly kisses up my neck.

"I want you to see every kiss," he murmured. "Every touch."

His hand in my hair slowly started to move down. It started at my cheek, before brushing my neck with its knuckles. It sent shivers down my spine.

Before he could get any farther, there was a sound. A gross sound that almost resembled a knife going through someone.

"Freya," Rowan said again, but this time it came out pained.

Then the blood started gushing out of his back, right next to where the sword lay buried. He searched wildly in my eyes, searching for something. My mouth opened as if to say something, but no words came out.

I look passed him, at the culprit.

"Why are you cheating on me, Freya," Saxon questioned casually, a glint in his eyes.

My heart dropped into my stomach at the sight of him. I wanted to scream, I wanted to yell. Most importantly, I wanted to protect Rowan. Heal him. But I couldn't move.

"We are engaged, you and I. And that means you are mine. It's okay, one day you'll learn. Until then, I'll just have to take care of every man who gets in my way."

He walked closer to us, wrapping his long fingers around the hilt of the sword and quickly ripping it out of Rowan. Rowan let out a loud roar as more blood gushed out of him. His face was beginning to lose its color, and his eyes were starting to glaze over in a different way.

Still, I could not move or do anything except watch Rowan slowly die in front of my eyes.

"Don't be so frightened, Freya. Now we can be together forever."

He started to come closer to me, that same glint in his eyes. My heart started to race, and bile started to raise up in my throat. I didn't dare look at Rowan. I feared what I would see.

I tried to scream again, to alert someone of his presence. This time, to my surprise, it worked. I was able to scream. And scream I did.

*****

"Freya," a voice murmured.

I tried to open my eyes, but it was like there was a weight on them. Like I was trapped. My pulse started to race and I began to kick and thrash, trying to release myself from whatever wasn't allowing me to wake up.

"Freya, it's okay. You're okay. I'm here," that same voice murmured.

It took me far too long to realize it was Rowan's. The relief that he was still alive allowed me to open my eyes, to stare into his forest green ones, now coated in worry.

Tears started to stream silently out of my eyes as I stared at him. Alive and well. His eyebrows furrowed as he pulled me closer to his chest. I wrapped my arms around his neck, cuddling as close to him as I could.