Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen
"Freya," Erika screamed as soon as she saw me walk into the house.

She jumped up from the table she was sitting at and ran to jump into my arms. I lifted her up into the air and spun her a bit, causing her to giggle.

"Wow, I missed you too," Mal muttered teasingly from next to me. Her and Christian decided they wanted to come with. I don't blame them. I already adore these children.

Erika squealed when she noticed Mal and squirmed out of my arms to hug her as well. She did the same when she noticed Christian. The only person who didn't get a squealing welcome was Aiden, but I'm sure he was here earlier today.

Before I could ask where James was, he appeared. He came bouncing down the stairs, a large grin on his face when he noticed us.

"My two favorite girls!"

I laughed as he smashed us in for a group hug. Mal shifted away from me slightly, still not completely comfortable with me. We'll get there.

After our brutal hug, James led us to the living room. "I've got a game for us to play!"

"You cannot play spin the bottle with them," Aiden called from the front door.

James paused and turned his attention to Aiden. "You ruin all my fun!"

Aiden grinned and shook his head. Him and Christian walked further into the house and closed the door behind them.

Erika ran into the kitchen and came back with multiple pieces of paper and crayons. She gave everyone a piece of paper and a crayon, before demanding that we draw her.

I ended up coming up with a stick figure that looked absolutely nothing like her.

"You draw worse than I do," Erika informed me, delighted.

I laughed. You've got to love child honesty.

She walked around the group and critiqued each of the drawings. Aidens wasn't much better than mine, but both Mal and Christian actually did a good job. There's only so much you can do with a crayon, but both clearly have an artistic talent.

After a while, we all settled on the couch to watch a movie. Mal, Erika and I got the couch while the boys sprawled out on the floor. None of us were really paying attention to the movie.

Erika insisted I braid her hair, so that's what I'm doing. Her hair is so soft, I'm actually jealous. She's only 6 she doesn't need such perfect hair. Once I was done, she quickly ran off to find a mirror.

"You're really good with her, you know," Mal admitted.

I laughed. "She's 6. I feel like anyone would be good with her."

Mal shook her head and bit her lip. "I know she seems out going, but she's actually rather shy. It's surprising that she's taking so well with you so quickly."

"Thanks," I grinned. That's the first compliment she's ever given me.

She nodded, not saying anything else. I furrowed my eyebrows as I looked at her. I haven't really analyzed her much lately, and there's just something about her eyes that remind me of something.

"Your eyes are so familiar," I informed her.

Mal seemed startled, obviously not expecting me to continue speaking to her. "Um, thanks?"

I shook my head with a laugh. "Sorry, I'm being crazy."

Mal shook her head. "No, it's okay. I get that a lot."