10

"Are you going on a date tonight?"

"What?" Garrett shuts the door behind him, setting his keys down on the kitchen table, he walks over to the fridge pulling it open.

"Shane... Shane told me that he thought you had a date tonight, I, I was just wondering."

"Do you want anything to drink?" I bite my lip, no, I want an answer.

"I'm okay." I wait for him to answer the question, and he shuts the fridge, turning his full attention on me. Why did he make me so damn nervous?

"I did have a date tonight, but I haven't decided if I'm going to go yet."

"Oh?" He pops open a beer, casually leaning against the fridge.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to pry, I was just wondering," after thinking for a minute I add, "you should go."

"You think?" No. Don't go. Stay. God, please stay.

"Yeah! Totally, don't feel like you have to stay for me. I'll be fine here by myself." It scared me how easy it was for me to say these words, to just lie like that, and right to his face.

"Maybe I will." He takes a longer sip this time and wipes his mouth.

"Great."

"Did I?" He stops for a minute, cocking his head a bit, he looks confused. "Did I make you uncomfortable? Earlier? When I said what I did?" He chugs the rest of his beer, setting it gently on the counter beside the sink.

"I, uh, I..." I stare at the buttons on his shirt, biting my lip almost incessantly.

"Got it." He speaks quietly, and I feel like I've done something wrong.

"Garrett wait—" He makes his way to his room, pushing past me quickly.

"I need to change, I'm going to be late."

"So you're going then?"

"I am."

"Oh."

"Look, I'm sorry... If I made you feel weird, and I promise it won't happen again."

"Garrett, I..." I didn't know what to say. Tell him the truth. The voice inside my head screams, I wish I had half of the amount of courage it did sometimes. I could be such a pussy. I roll my eyes at the voice inside my head, but I knew it was right. And suddenly I'm staring at his door in my face and I know I need to walk away. "Fuck," I mutter, and for the first time, I wished I had my own place to escape to.

"You don't have to wait up... I don't think I'll be back till tomorrow morning, but I'll let you know."

Wow.

"Um okay?" The chewing on my lip continues and I shoot him a quick glance, but this time he's not looking at me, and for once the shoe was on the other foot. I didn't like it. Was this what it felt like? If so that'd be something for me to work on. "See ya later?"

"Yup."

Garrett (finally)

I didn't feel good about leaving Andrew, especially after our awkward exchange just now, but I had to, I couldn't stay there with him, alone. Had I really made him that uncomfortable? I felt so bad, but then, I thought he was fine with it? I debate whether or not I should go back inside, but I know I can't. I start my car, pulling out of the driveway I head to the nearest bar and wallow away in self-misery.

"Hey."

"Garrett? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, just a quick question," I press my phone firmly to the side of my face, "why? Why, why, why did you tell Andrew that I had a date tonight?"