12. Black Magic Woman

Betty's sunny mood couldn't last all day. All too soon, she was back on the case of Ms. Grundy. As she did her research on Google, she wondered if there was some deep web for magical creatures, where one could get the deets on someone in a different, more inhuman way? She made a quick note to question Sweet Pea about it. Still, she managed to find enough damning evidence without any of that.

And, she felt so good about it, as she laid it all out to Archie and Veronica at Pop''s.

"-Before that, she's a ghost, she doesn't exist!" Betty finished her carefully logical take-down, "Archie, please, believe me." She loved the boy, but she realized belatedly Archie was more likely to listen to emotion than reason, however sound it was.

"The only Geraldine Grundy I could find was a woman who died seven years ago," She said, handing Archie the papers.

And Archie, god if she wasn't so pissed at him his innocence and loyalty would be almost cute, was just obstinate.

"Betty, if you're my friend, you'll let this go!" He thundered.

Betty clenched her fork between her fingers. She breathed in hard, realizing that Archie was going to need more.

"Fine." She agreed, "But only because you asked."

Covertly, she lessened her grip and slipped the half-melted metal spoon into her lap.

XXxxXX

"This or this?" Toni asked, holding up two outfits for Sweet Pea and Fangs in her trailer.

"Uh....left?" Fangs said, scratching the back of his neck.

"Toni, they look exactly the same and Fangs is too scared to say something." Sweet Pea rolled his eyes.

"They are not the same!" Toni said, throwing them onto her bed, "That one has a blue flannel and a crop top. This one has a purple flannel and an off-the shoulder cami. See?"

Fangs made a whining noise.

"You might as well be speaking Latin, Topaz." Sweet Pea said, dipping his head back to get the last drops of his beer, "Why's it matter? FP doesn't require black-tie for group meetings."

"Not for that," Toni whacked his arm, "For the Drive-In closing! I mean, the whole teen population of Riverdale will be there. What if I meet that special guy or girl?"

"A Northsider?" Fangs scrunched up his nose.

"Hey, now," Sweet Pea said in faux offense, "You'll hurt my feelings."

"You're a Southside Werewolf, despite your tragic high school assignment." Toni hummed, "Is Betty going to be there?"

"Going to try to get it with the resident witch, Toni?" Fangs teased.

"No, and oh, wipe that look of your face, SP." Toni added, "I dunno if I could handle a witch. I'm asking because we're friends and I like her. You don't have a monopoly on her."

"Never said I did." Sweet Pea grouched.

"God, what is snapping at your tail today?" Toni finally asked, exasperated, "You've been in a pissy mood since you got home."

"Nothing." Sweet Pea argued, "And yes, Betty...will be there. She wants to meet the pack." He said after a second of hesitation.

"Really?"

"I say yes!" Fangs raised his hand.

"I'm not sure." Sweet pea admitted, "I'm worried what you'll say about her. Plus, she's gonna be on a date anyway."

"Oh." Toni said meaningfully.

"What's that mean?"

"Nothing." Toni shrugged, "I just know why you're so pissy now."