{8}

Another paper ball hit Brody, except this time it hit him right in the centre of the forehead, the bunched up blank sheet falling down into the book that he had been concentrating on. Brody looked up, a not too pleased expression on his face.

His eyes met those of three other people, sly grins on each and every one of their faces.

‘It wasn’t me that time,’ Annie threw her hands in the air with a cheeky smile on her face that told Brody that she definitely knew who it was that time who did it.

Lucas sat at the head of the table, his feet resting on the table and his hands crossed behind his head. He looked extremely bored. ‘It was Nate that time,’ Lucas pointed to Nate who was sitting next to Annie.

Brody turned his accusing eyes to Nate who was scowling at the Lucas fun lovingly, ‘Way to throw me under the bus guys,’ Nate huffed in mock annoyance.

‘Aren’t you supposed to be seventeen, not five?’ Brody snapped.

‘Aren’t you supposed to be seventeen, not ninety-five, Mr I would rather sit in a library than hang out with my cool friends and actually do stuff?’ Nate teased and Brody kicked him lightly under the table.

‘Awch,’ Nate complained, his hand disappearing under the table to rub his ‘sore’ shin.

‘Suck it up, I didn’t kick you that hard,’ Brody sighed, turning his eyes back to his book.

Brody and Nate had spent every day together over the past week. They paired up in combat, they attended werewolf history classes together. In their free time they had wandered down to the pond, sitting on the grass and dipping their toes in the water as they talked.

Now it was the Thursday of the second week at camp and everybody knew what that meant.

Full moon.

They had their mentor meeting in the morning and then they were to be behind the doors of their rooms before sunset, staying there until the next morning.

No buts. No exceptions. No excuses.

They had attended another meeting by the camp leader, this time reinforcing that they were not allowed to leave their rooms and therefore not socialise with anyone until sunrise the next morning. Brody didn’t think that it was much of a hassle, and he understood the reasoning. If everyone was to just be out on the grounds then it would inevitably lead to fights of epic proportions. Alpha’s under full moons were able to turn much easier, even more so if they got emotional. They would be servants to their instincts, fighting and destroying things just to make a point.

It was safer for everyone that they just followed the camp rules.

Except, well, not everyone followed the rules.

Nate had already told Brody of his plan to throw a party in the woods, sneaking alcohol and getting drunk under the stars. It was apparently more fun on a full moon, something about getting drunk quicker or something.

Anyway, Brody wasn’t interested, and Nate had spent the last few days trying to change his mind with no avail.    

‘Broooody,’ Annie drew his name out in boredom, ‘can’t we do something fun?’

Brody sighed, he was never going to finish this page let alone the entire chapter. The library around them was pretty empty, most of the other mentors taking their mentees out to work on combat or just hanging out with them, but Brody had insisted that he go to the library since he felt he had been spending too much time with Nate and not enough investigating how to strengthen his pack.