{11}

He woke up crushed. His heart felt like a billion pieces inside of his chest and he didn’t know why. Nate opened his eyes, his room was the same, the empty desk sitting against the wall, the curtains were drawn against the window to block out light, he was lying between dark silky sheets and his head was propped up against a green pillowcase.

Green Eyes.

Brody.

It all came rushing back in half of a second, last night flashing before his eyes. The crushed and empty feeling suddenly had an explanation, and Nate wished that he had never seen those green pillows. That he could go back to sleep and ignore the fact that his entire life was in shambles.

Nate didn’t get his story, his perfect meeting, he knew that now. It seemed so insignificant when it was pushed up against the fact that Brody had practically rejected him. Yet, that was the reason that one single tear fell from his eye, sliding against the lightly tanned skin of his cheek and hitting the green pillowcase beneath him. He blinked back the other tears that threatened to follow. It was a stupid reason to cry, that was what he told himself anyway.

He rolled over, facing one of the small beside tables now. His phone lay against the table, and he reached out for it, pulling it back down into the bed with him.

A small, tiny part of him wished that the message on there would be from Brody but that wasn’t the case. The message was blunt and to the point, exactly like the person who it originated from. It read;

Camp has contacted me saying that you haven’t been attending all of your classes. You need to go to all of your classes. You are going to be a leader soon. Take it seriously son. - Dad

Nate threw the phone across the room. It hit the wall with a loud thud, another one accompanying it as the silver object crashed into the floor. Anger and frustration filled his veins. He was leaving, he couldn’t stay here now, there was no way. He couldn’t stand to see the face of the boy who rejected him every single day for the rest of the camp.

Nate got out of bed and walked over to his closet, pulling his suitcase out from the top shelf. He heard a knock on his door just as he set the suitcase on top of the unmade sheets. He tried to ignore it as he threw a pile of clothing into the bag, but the knocking just continued, echoing around the room.

In his rush, a shirt fell from his hand and landed on the floor. Nate bent down and picked it up, looking at the fabric. This was the shirt I was wearing when I met Brody, Nate thought. Nate huffed, throwing the shirt into the suitcase where he didn’t have to look at it.

Brody meant so much to him, but obviously Brody didn’t feel the same. The knowledge hit him hard, and he had to push back more tears as he continued to fill his suitcase. There was another knock on the door, but this time the small bangs were louder and close together, the person on the other side of the door obviously getting frustrated.

He eventually went and opened the door if only to make the maddening noises stop. He didn’t even bother to wait until the door was fully open before he turned back around to his closet, throwing more things into the suitcase.

‘Woah! Nate, what are you doing?’ Lucy’s panicked voice rung out, but Nate didn’t stop to answer her.

He threw more things into his bag, tugging open his drawers one by one and dumping their contents straight into his bag. Nate felt like the wasn’t even controlling his own body, anger fuelling him as he stuffed more and more into the bag. The anger was overtaking the vast and heavy hurt that seemed to radiate from his chest, and Nate needed that. He needed the anger because without it, all he would have was the hurt, and he couldn’t deal with that, so he huffed as he shoved the uncooperative clothing piles into his too small suitcase.