{12}

Brody skipped breakfast the next morning, unable to face the fact that Nate would be there. He didn’t want a reminder of what happened the night before. He wanted to focus on the fact that it was a mistake, that they couldn’t possibly be mates. It wasn’t possible, it just wasn’t.

He decided that it was all in his head the night before, that today he would see Nate and those feelings and that connection would all be gone. He hoped that he would look at him and just see the friend that had been kind to him, just see another Alpha.

Something deep in his stomach told him that he was wrong.

Yet, he pushed away that thought and left his room, emerging into the hallway with his history note book tucked under one arm and a blue pen lightly grasped in the other. He passed a couple of other last years as he walked along the narrow corridor, most of them looking like they were running on less than an hours sleep with the way that their hair was dishevelled and the deep, dark circles under their dull eyes. Brody doubted that he looked much different to them, seeing as he also had minimal sleep the night before.

The grounds were as crowded as usual, and every dark haired boy that past would send Brody’s heart pounding in his chest until he realised that the strangers were not Nate.

Brody shared this class with Nate, and he hoped that he wouldn’t have to face him today, but, he knew the odds of that were unlikely. He walked up to the classroom somewhat apprehensively, the pen in-between his fingers was being twisted around with every nervous step that he took. Brody kept telling himself that it would be fine, that the connection would be gone when he saw Nate.

The classroom door was open when he reached it, and it seemed that the class was already in. Brody walked into the room and looked around, seeing the rows of mostly filled desks and the teacher who was looking at him from the front of the room.

‘Take a seat Mr Lewis,’ the teacher said, gesturing to the couple of spare seats at the back. She was a short, petite woman who was very obviously an omega. Brody would have known it just from looking at her. She had bright blonde hair and a hard smile which seemed to quiet even the rowdiest of students.

Brody took her advice, sitting in one of the chairs in the very back row.

He had just sat down when the person in front of him turned around, and Brody was surprised to see that it was Lucy. He had forgotten that she also shared this class with them. Her fiery red hair was in a high pony tail today, and it seemed to whip around her as she moved her head.

‘Hey Brody,’ Lucy smiled at him.

‘Hey,’ Brody replied.

‘Have you spoken to Nate this morning?’ Lucy asked, twirling one of her red ringlets around her slender finger.

Brody shook his head quickly, his eyes flickering down to his fidgeting hands, ‘No, no I haven’t. Why?’

‘No reason,’ Lucy said warily, ‘Are you alright?’

‘Me? I’m fine,’ Brody told her, but he wasn’t quite sure.

Lucy looked apprehensive but nodded anyway, turning around in her chair.  

The class started, their teacher making her way to the front of the room to start writing on the board. Brody looked around the room and wondered where Nate was.

His mind seemed to wonder without permission, and thoughts jumped around his mind. Was Nate hurt? Was that why he wasn’t in class?

Anxiety flooded his veins as he pictured his mate somewhere, all alone and in danger.