Common questions

Where do I start?

Some believe you need to study for a year and a day before you start practicing. I don't believe that. Read some books on witchcraft, look online into practicing.

Where do I put my altar?

You can put your altar anywhere you want. You can put it on a shelf in your house or room, on the side of the bath. Anywhere you want. You can even make a pocket sized altar to carry around with you. You can make your entire room your altar. This is great for closeted witches. You can disguise the altar pieces as decorations and put them all around your room.

What tips do you have for us broke witches?

I understand 100%. Use whatever you can or want to in your craft. Use things around your house, or something you found somewhere. You don't need fancy tools to practice. You only need you. Use leaves, notebooks, etc. Whatever you want.

What are some ways of charging?

Visualization, sun, moon, crystals, dirt, and salt are some ways to charge an object.

How to celebrate witch holidays in different hemispheres?

Google what hemisphere your in and witch holidays and it'll have the dates.

Do I have to cast circles?

No you don't. Some witches cast circles before magick rituals or spells are performed. The circle acts as a sphere of protection, and a portal to the realm of spirits.

I did a spell and it didn't work, what did I do wrong?

Maybe you didn't put enough effort (I'm not trying to offend) into the spell. Sometimes spells manifest in different ways. So keep a close eye out. One time I did a spell and it took over a month, and when it actually happened I didn't realize that it worked until I really thought about it.

How do I advance my craft?

Practice. Practice is the best possible way to advance and get better.

How do I meditate?

Honestly, I struggle with this all the time. My mind doesn't stop working. So meditate for 5 seconds all the time. Every day meditate. Clear you mind for a few seconds. It'll get easier. There are meditation tutorials on YouTube and apps.

What are some supplies for starting out?

Honestly, all you need to start out is you and you alone. But if you want some physical objects, jars, salt, and clear quartz. You might want to get a journal.

How do I find a coven ?

You don't need a coven. But if you want to be in a coven, look online. Look around your area. Technology is a good way to start. Witches Amino is a good way to find other witches.

What do I put in my book of shadows?

You can put whatever you want in your book of shadows/grimoire. It's yours. You can do whatever you want. If you need ideas, you can look online or on my bos/grimoire ideas chapters. There's a lot of ideas.

What should I use for my book of shadows?

You can use whatever you want. You can use a sketchbook, a regular lined notebook, a animal picture book. It's really your choice. I personally use my phone as my book of shadows.

What does a modern witches grimoire look like?

Like I've said, your bos/grimoire can be anything you want. But keeping your bos on your phone or tablet or laptop is a good idea for a modern witch. You can keep spells in your notes app. Sigils written on the case. You can have your altar on your phone. It can be a picture.

What are some apps for witchcraft?

Plant identification, herb guide, meditation, moon phases, horoscope, Witches Amino, Tarot, star chart, palmistry. There's more but there's a few.

How do I find a deity?

Do research and find out for yourself. You do not need a deity. Some witches worship them, some don't. It's completely your choice.

Where do I start?

Wherever you want. Pick a subject that interests you. Maybe you feel drawn to the moon, or altars. Start there. Let your practice evolve as you evolve. Or maybe go with a broad overview.

What are some witchcraft books?

The green witch by Arin Murphy Hiscock
The modern guide to witchcraft by Skye Alexander
A year and a day of everyday witchcraft: 366 ways to witchify your life by Deborah Blake
The house witch: your complete guide to creating a magical space with rituals and spells for the heart and home by Arin Hiscock
Wicca herbal magic: a beginner's Guide to practicing wiccan herbal magic with simple herb spells by Lisa Chamberlain

Can anyone be a witch?

Absolutely. Anyone can be a witch. Don't let anyone tell you that you need to be a certain heritage, gender, etc to be a witch.

Can an atheist be a witch?

Yes. Absolutely. A witch can have any religion. Some worship deities, some don't. You don't have to have a deity.