~9~

Y/n's P.O.V.

I got up and got dressed. Today was my rest day. Eddie and Richie we're going bike riding. Stan was helping his father. Ben was catching up on summer reading. Mike was doing chores and I hadn't heard from Bill or Beverly.

I ate breakfast alone, as I did most of the time, and hopped on my bike. I was making my way to the library when I heard a familiar voice shout my name. I stopped my bike and turned around to see Mike.

Y/n: Hey, Mike

Mike: Hey, Y/n. Are you doing anything today?

Y/n: I was planning on spending the day at the library.

A blush crept to his face a he rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

Mike: I'll be done with my chores soon.
I was wondering if you'd like to go to the carnival with me?

Y/n: Um, do you want me to ask Bill or Bev to come?

Mike: Uh, maybe it could just be the two of us. As in ... a date.

I froze.

Y/n: Oh. I think I'll just go to the library.
I haven't even started my homework. Sorry.

He bit his bottom lip. I felt so bad turning him down. But I can't lead him on. That would be cruel. I just destroyed our friendship.

Mike: Don't worry. I have a lot of chores anyways.

We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't feel awkward.

I spent the next 6 hours reading. I took occasional snack breaks. The time seemed to fly past. It was about 5 pm when I decided to head home. I rode back and laid on the couch. As I switched the TV on, the doorbell rang. I got up and opened the door.

To my surprise, no one was there. I was about to close the door when I spotted something on my porch. A rose and a letter. I examined the empty street one last time and went back inside. I rushed to my room and closed my door. I set the red rose on my desk and opened the letter. A poem?

I heard no music,
Until the music was you,
Now all love songs are true.

My heart instantly melted. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach. I felt as light as a feather. A blush crept up my neck. I threw myself against my bed and shut my eyes. A single thought raced through my head. Who?

Then it got me. Mike.

I got back up and headed towards the door. God, that boy couldn't take a hint. I had to find him. It would be wrong to lead him on.

I biked around town, looking him. I finally spotted him carrying bags of meat out of his bike. I approached him.

Y/n: Hey, Mike.

Mike: Hey

Y/n: I'm sorry if I sent mixed signals but I'm just not interested. My last relationship was just so ... problematic.

Mike: What are you talking about?

Y/n: The poem?

Mike: I'm sorry but I don't know what you're talking about. Have a nice day.

He walked into the shop as I hopped onto my bike. I was so confused. Turns out I have a secret admirer. I rode home and called Bev.

On the phone

Bev: Hey, Y/n. What's up?

Y/n: Bev. I've got a problem that
maybe you can help me with?

Bev: What is it?

Y/n: I got a love note and a rose

Bev: Oh my God. Really?

Y/n: Yeah. Why do you sound so surprised?

Bev: No reason. So who's it from?

Y/n: That's the problem.
I don't know.

Bev: Ok, read it to me

Y/n: I heard no music,
until the music was you,
now all love songs are true.

Bev: Aww

Y/n: I know right. So?

Bev: Well Ben loves music but he wouldn't send a rose, he'd send something more personal.
Mike grows roses in his garden.

Y/n: I already asked Mike.
It isn't him.

Bev: It can't be Eddie or Richie

Y/n: Yeah, they're practically dating

Bev: Stan isn't a cheesy romantic

Y/n: So Bill?

Bev: Maybe?
You know what? Turn on a love song and the first person you think of is who you want it to be.

Y/n: Ok. Thanks Bev

Off the phone

I followed Beverly's instructions. I got out my record player and pulled out a CD. As it started playing, I sat on my bed and shut my eyes. Then I saw him.
I saw Bill.