~24~

The rest of our friends were very happy for us. It had been about a week since we had announced our relationship to his parents. School was starting soon and all of Derry was dreading it.

I woke up on the right side of the bed and yanked my curtains open. The sun warmed my skin and lit my room. I didn't bother to change out of my pyjamas or untie my hair. Instead, I tiptoed out of my room and down the stairs as quietly as possible. A fight with mum or Belch was the last thing I wanted. Fortunately, I managed to reach the kitchen and made myself some toast.

I silently did the dishes and was planning on heading back upstairs when something on the lawn caught my eye. I walked out the door as I noticed that the red mailbox flag was up. I was intrigued since there was no post on Sundays. Still in my oversized shirt and shorts, I opened the box and took out a small cardboard box the size of my palm.

I walked back inside and into my room with the box. Curiosity and excitement bubbled inside of me. I closed my door and plopped onto my bed. I hastily cut open the cardboard box as I got impatient. My eyes landed on the inside. I dropped it and screamed.

I managed to reach the metal bin right before I puked my guts out. I threw up the pasty substance and wiped my mouth. I wrapped my blanket snuggly around me while carefully avoiding the box. I crouched in the farthest corner and picked up the phone.

*Ring ring*

*Ring ring*

"H-Hello?"

"Bill?"

"Y/n? What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"I-I...Uhhh"

"I'm c-coming over"

*Beep*

I dropped the phone. My hands were shaking like leaves and pearls of sweat dripped down my forehead. I stared in shock at the box on the floor. Blood was staring to seep thought the cardboard.

The monotonous ticking clock was the only sound apart from my rapid breathing. Time flew by and a worried looking Bill burst through the door. His baseball shirt was inside out and he was missing a sock. He examined the room quickly before his eyes landed on my crouched form. He ran towards me and kneeled down.

Bill: Y/n! Are you okay?

I shook my head and stared in horror at the box across the room. He turned to look at it and frowned. In the blink of an eye, he bent over the box and gasped.

Bill: Oh my god! Who s-sent you th-this?

He cautiously lifted the box and examined the rat. It was dead, it's body bent in odd angles, it's throat oozing blood onto the cardboard. The throat had obviously been slashed by a knife and the head was loosely hanging onto the furry body. Bill lifted out a blood-stained piece of paper and read it.

Bill: 'Y-You and your f-f-faggot boyfriend are next'...Where d-did you find this?

I parted my trembling lips and choked on my words.

Y/n: M-Mailbox

Bill: F-Fuck. Who w-would do this?

Y/n: you know perfectly well who