~27~

Stan, Beverly and I got out from behind the bush as we heard Henry run away.

Bev was laughing so hard that tears came out of her eyes. Stanley was hunched over gasping for breath in between laughs.

"Did you see his face?", I chuckled.

"Even better? I got it on camera", Stan giggled.

"Hey guys, he's coming back", I said through the talkie walkie.

"We just finished", Eddie's soft voice mumbled, "Richie! Away from the magazines!"

Henry had been in a pool of gasoline. But he had no clue that the match was a fake and that he was in absolutely no danger. The 'gunshots' he heard were just firecrackers.

We rushed back to Mike's and met the rest of our friends outside.

"Did you put it in?", Beverly asked Bill.

"Might've put too much but who cares. His face tomorrow is gonna be priceless",Bill giggled.

"I'll print the pictures and we'll meet tomorrow", Ben smirked.

"In front of the drugstore at noon?", I offered as we waved goodbye to Mike and walked towards our bikes.

They nodded and we left the farm and headed back to our houses.

I woke up, overwhelmed by excitement. If all had gone according to the plan, today was set to be beyond eventful.

I got dressed and skipped down the stairs.

"Get me a beer", mom barked from the couch as soon as I entered the living room. I doubted that more alcohol was the way to cure a hangover but I didn't care if she'd feel worse.

I trudged to the fridge to find Belch growling on the phone.

"What!", He yelled into it, "what do you mean your hair is pi-"

He stopped as he noticed me glancing at him.

"Meet me there in an hour", he spat and hung up.

"What are you looking at?", my fat brother barked as he shoved me. I rolled my eyes and gave mom her beer.

The thought of spending one more second in this house made me gag. I slammed the door behind me and hopped onto my bike.

Eddie was the only one at the meeting spot when I parked my bike.

"Eds, you're 20 minutes early", I pointed out as he looked up at me.

"Didn't want to spend too much time with my mom", he simply explained.

"Same here"

"Want some?", He asked holding up a bag of dried fruit.

"I'll pass"

"If it isn't my favorite losers", Beverly yelled from across the street.

"Hello to you too, Bev", I smiled.

Most of the others arrived on time and it came to no surprise that Richie was the last one there.

"Have you seen Bowers yet?", Stan asked.

"Nope, but I'm pretty sure he was on the phone with Belch this morning", I smirked.

"You guys owe me", Richie whined, "I spent all night gluing posters around town"

After Ben had printed the pictures, Richie had spent until 2 am sticking them on walls.

"Look. There's one over there", I said pointing to the wall across the street.

We crossed the road to get a better look at the poster. It showed Henry, jumping in mid air, the most terrified look on his face, his mouth open, eyes wide. And to top it all off, he was wearing nothing but his wet underwear. The words 'Nice ass Bowers" were written beneath the picture. We were pretty sure half the town had seen them already.

We laughed alongside a few passerbys.

"It's b-beautiful", Bill clapped his hands.

Suddenly, the whole street stopped talking as three familiar boys walked down it. Everyone froze as they saw Belch, Victor and Henry trudging towards the drugstore.

Somehow, Bowers seemed more embarrassed than angry. He wore a baseball cap. A powerful gush of wind blew, knocking trash cans over, newspapers and most importantly his cap.

It flew away revealing Henry's new hair. It was bright pink. Borderline neon. It was hands down the most colorful thing in the street. He tried covering it with his hands but failed.

For awhile, everyone was dead silent until they broke out laughing. It was no secret that everyone feared him, but no one could take him seriously looking like that.

The losers club high-fived eachother as he ran into the store.

"Nice work!", Bev congratulated Eddie, Bill and Richie.

"It was pretty easy. Sneak in while Mike and Ben are the lookouts and you guys bring him into the forest. We pour the hair dye in the shampoo and sneak out", Eddie beamed proudly.

"The bottle said that it would fade in about 2 months", Stan grinned.

"He deserves it", Mike pointe out.

"That'll teach him", I giggled.

Everyone broke out into chitchat except for Bill. I realized he was being awfully quiet as I laughed with Beverly. I turned to glance at him for a second and saw him smiling dreamily at me. I beamed back as he walked towards me.

Without warning, he cupped my cheek with his palm and kissed me. It was a short sweet kiss. The kind two young lovers share. I smiled and he pulled back.

"I'm sorry...you're just so beautiful when you laugh", he whispered whitout a stutter as he leaned down to rest his forehead on mine.

I ignored the blush on my cheeks and smiled.

The rest of the losers pretended not to have seen except Richie and Beverly who made mocking kissy faces behind his back.

I wrapped my arms around his waist and rested my head on his shoulder. His shirt smelled of pinecones.

All 8 of us knew that this day would be imprinted in our minds for the rest of our lives. This had been the time we had stood up for ourselves and taught our bully a lesson.