ONE

CHAPTER 1
ROOM 66

PERCY Isaacs really didn't like his friends

Christian Santos and Bobby Parker were good to him. They never treated him wrongly. They were nice too. In fact, it was them who asked Percy if he wanted to be their roommate at Harvey Mudd's freshman year orientation. Percy had never been much of a talker. He was a loner who didn't make a lot of friends, but he gratefully took Christian and Bobby's offer. Once he got to college, Percy decided he was going to make a name for himself, he wasn't going to be the Percy Isaacs everyone once knew.

Freshman year went on with a blink of an eye, and Percy soon realized how much he differed from his roommates. Christian and Bobby were rich – filthy rich – and Percy couldn't blame them. They were attending one of the most expensive and prestigious colleges in California, but Percy got there on scholarships and working hard. His roommates attended Harvey Mudd for their reputation.

They were also partiers, while Percy was content in staying back at the dorm with one of his favorite books. They could get with any girl they wanted. The last time Percy had sex was after his ex-girlfriend cheated on him, causing him to hook up with the first girl he saw at a party, only to leave him feeling guilty in the end. Christian and Bobby were sometimes mean to others, calling girls ugly that weren't their standard, right to their faces. Percy wasn't like them at all. He'd never be.

At one point, Percy went to his parents to ask them what to do. It was winter break of sophomore year, and Percy was seriously considering on moving into a new dorm. He didn't care about making new friends or learning a new roommate's quirks. He just wanted to get away from Christian and Bobby. They totally weren't his cup of tea. He needed to befriend more people who liked the same things as him, like the weird guy in his Biology class that collected bugs. Sure, his hobby was a bit weird, but he said that 1984 was his favorite book and Percy would take what he could get.

But his father wasn't having any of it. "This is the first time that you're branching out, Percy," Jim had said. His father was a tough man – a former veteran with a stone-cold face that never broke. He wouldn't change his mind on anything. "I'll be damned if I let you fuck this up. Those boys are doing a lot for you. You're making friends."

Percy had turned to his mother, a voluptuous woman with an expression that always softened at the sight of her beautiful son. He hoped she would be on his side, but ... "Your father is right, honey," she smiled sweetly, and Percy let his forehead fall into his hand. "I think you should still give Robert and Christian a chance. Their nice boys."

If only they knew the half of it.

So that's what led Percy to where he was now: sitting in the back of Bobby's BMW, amongst all the duffle bags and suitcases, as he and Christian blasted Florida Georgia Line. Percy found his eyes rolling, and he couldn't stop the annoyed groan escaping his lips. It's not like they would hear anyways. The music was too goddamn loud.