FIFTEEN

CHAPTER 15
THE LOST BOYS

WARNING: MATURE SCENES AHEAD

IT took a lot of convincing to get Hadley to go outside in the daylight.

She couldn't resist Percy's annoying charm. He was so irritating sometimes – with his pretty, blue eyes and alluring grin. God, sometimes she really wanted to wipe that smirk off his face, or just kiss him instead. Especially, at this moment, as he tugged on her arm from where he was standing outside the hotel. Hadley tried hauling herself back inside, already feeling the subtle migraine coming on from just feeling the sun's heat.

"C'mon!" Percy exclaimed, chuckling as he dragged her out. "You act as if you're going to burn! You told me you don't turn to ash."

His muscles made him successful in getting her out, and Hadley sent him a frustrated glare once her eyes hit the sun's rays. She released a huff, shoulders sinking down in a dramatic way, before she turned to face him again.

"Of course, I'm not going to burn." She tsked, pointing a finger in his direction. "And I'm not going to sparkle either."

Percy giggled, and Hadley had to suppress her own smile when she heard it. As his face lit up with happiness, she couldn't help the butterflies in her stomach. He grabbed her hand, entwining their fingers together, and nothing had ever felt so right. Hadley looked down at their conjoined hands as they walked, licking her lips and keeping her grin to herself. But Percy still saw it. Sometimes, his eyes were as sharp as hers.

He pulled out a pair of sunglasses from his back pocket and carefully slid them onto her nose. She looked at him, arching a brow, but it was hardly visible over the large shades. "I thought those might help with – you know," he shrugged, "your sensitivity issues."

"Are you making fun of me?" She scoffed. "Because I can turn us right back around, Percy Isaacs."

He glanced at her, sending the vampire an impish grin. That was all she needed for her annoyance to break.

"You're so annoying," she laughed with a shake of her head. He swung their hands back and forth as they traveled down South Spring street. "You dragged me out here just to see how I really react to the sunlight, and just like I told you, nothing happens. I just get a migraine. Are you satisfied? Or were you hoping I'd actually turn to ash?"

"I would find a way to bring you back if you turned to ash. I'm sure if you exist, there are some kind of witches that could bring you back." His fingers tightened around her own as they rounded a corner. "Maybe I also just wanted to take a walk with my – well ..." He paused, biting his lip when her grey irises flickered to his. "My girlfriend."

Percy held his breath, waiting for the fallout. He didn't know what he was expecting from the statement, or why he was suddenly being so bold in the presence of a vampire. But everything felt at ease when she smiled at him, bearing her pearly whites.