TWO

CHAPTER 2
SILLY GIRL

"WHO is this, mama?"

The words came out before Hadley could stop them, causing Elizabeth to appear out of the shadows of her bedroom, yanking the double doors wide open. Mama hung on the edge of her tongue and came out as a hiss. Elizabeth wasn't really her mother, but she told Hadley once to think of her that way. She was the one who turned her. "I gave birth to you," Elizabeth whispered years ago, "metaphorically, of course." She always wanted a daughter, and when she found Hadley, standing at the front desk as she worked the first shift of her summer job, the Countess knew she was the one. Hadley was the perfect age of a girl that Elizabeth wanted. She was the perfect fit, as if it had been destiny for Elizabeth to meet her.

Hadley didn't remember her real parents anymore. Perhaps that was a good thing. It was always better to forget.

Elizabeth tightened the belt of her favorite black silk robe, but it still hung loosely around her shoulders, exposing most of her chest. She was barefaced, highlighting the sharp edges of her natural beauty. Grabbing a small remote control, Elizabeth shut off the speakers immediately, and the room was engulfed in silence. Hadley looked from Elizabeth to the strange man, and was suddenly wondering where Donovan was.

She approached Hadley quickly, placing her hands on the young woman's shoulders. "Nothing important, child."

"The fuck does that mean?"

Hadley peered over Elizabeth's shoulder when the man replied. His hair was horrendous, an almost half-mohawk with dark blue and pink strands. A simple white button-up clung to his built arms, revealing his whole torso, while a pair of ripped jeans hung unzipped on his hips. Hadley raised a brow, looking back to her creator with confused eyes.

The Countess whipped her head in the man's direction, hissing under her breath, "Tristan, can you stay quiet for a moment, please?"

The man – supposedly, named Tristan – ran a hand through his hair. With a roll of his eyes, he said, "Whatever," and plopped himself on the cream-colored couch. The sound of his butt hitting the cushions almost made the floor shake, and Hadley now had a sick feeling in her stomach.

"Are you serious?" Hadley whispered, narrowing her stare towards Elizabeth. She carefully shook off her creator's hold. "Another one? How many sickos are you going to turn?"

Tristan's head turned in Hadley's direction, sending her a glare, before she stuck her tongue out at him. Elizabeth sighed, striding over to her glass pitcher full of her favorite supply. Hadley's mouth almost began to water as she watched her pour herself a drink. Swirling the crimson liquid around her glass, Elizabeth tsked, "Silly girl." She took a long sip, licking the edges of her lips once she was done. "You know I'm never satisfied."