SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER 17
WEDDING BELLS

THE wedding had been nothing short of a bust

Elizabeth and Will Drake were married three days later, in the middle of the lobby as the two grand staircases enveloped them. The Countess looked radiant: her light blonde hair was styled in an intricate bun with a silver crown placed on her head, and she wore a lace wedding gown fully designed by her new husband. The ceremony consisted of the bride and groom, a minister, Liz, and both Hadley and Percy.

Liz stood off to the side, rolling her eyes and holding Elizabeth's bouquet as the vows were exchanged. In front of the happy couple, two wooden stools were taken by Hadley and Percy, who wondered what they were truly doing there in the first place. Hadley eyed Will Drake with worry. He looked incredibly clean, and unlike Elizabeth's type, which only heightened Hadley's suspicions more as to why Elizabeth was marrying him. She knew why, though.

Hadley wasn't an idiot, and neither was Elizabeth.

Percy rested a hand on Hadley's thigh, and she sent him a warm smile before lacing their hands together. Liz stared at them longingly and finally reverted her attention back to the minister droning on in front of her. She was practically shaking with anger, narrowing her eyes at Elizabeth's back as the Countess took Will Drake's hands. Liz made herself all pretty for the ceremony, but now, all she wanted to do was wash it off and have a good cry.

"Anyone present know any reason why this man and this woman should not be joined in marriage?" The minister asked, quickly looking around to survey the small crowd. "Speak now, or forever hold your peace.

Liz's hand shot upwards. "Uh ... yeah," she answered, pink lips pulling into a grin. "Because ... she's a bitch with no conscious, no mercy, no soul."

Hadley's brow furrowed, and she shared an awkward glance with Percy. Elizabeth, however, didn't bat an eyelash. "Oh, Liz," she giggled, looking to the minister. "Ignore her. She drinks. But the law requires a witness."

"And I've witnessed plenty," Liz quipped.

Hadley was even more confused than before.

"Please, proceed," Elizabeth told the minister.

He looked down at the Bible in his hands, clearing his throat before saying, "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Will smiled mischievously. Hadley thought he looked creepy, and she curled her lip in disgust. Elizabeth shared a short kiss with him, taking a moment to stare at him with fake adoration. "My man," she hummed. "My family."

Elizabeth slowly turned to eye Hadley from over her shoulder, and then reached out a hand towards her. Hadley didn't know what to do, until the Countess finally called her name, "Come meet Will."