SEVEN

CHAPTER 7
SAYING SORRY

THE old newspaper fell down onto the front desk with a hard smack

THE old newspaper fell down onto the front desk with a hard smack. Liz looked up immediately, tossing her reading glasses off and meeting Hadley's glare. The younger woman had her arms crossed over her chest, a look of violence in her eyes. Liz wanted to lock herself in the back room, but that was useless in getting away from Hadley. She had the strength of a bulldozer. She could break down a locked door easily. Perhaps, it was better for Liz to just face the music, but even that terrified her.

Hadley didn't move a muscle. Her back was rigid and her stare bore into the depths of Liz's fear. She didn't speak until a minute later, and even then, Liz didn't notice her mouth move when she said, "Give me one reason why I shouldn't slap you right now."

Liz swallowed hard, reaching out and folding down the corner of the page she left on in her current read. She hid her panic well, but not well enough. Hadley's hearing was remarkable, and she heard that big heart of hers pounding hard against her ribcage without any trouble. Spinning in her chair, Liz replied, "Because I am probably one of the best people you know." Her eyes slid to Hadley's hands wrapped around her arms. Her grip didn't loosen. "And you'll feel guilty after. Very guilty."

Hadley's eyes formed into slits, but it didn't take her long to sigh heavily and drop her arms to her hips. She gave up her stance, yet her anger hadn't lessened one bit. "Why did you give Percy this article?" She gestured to the newspaper laying idly on the desk.

"Would you believe me if I said he threatened me?"

Hadley frowned.

"Right," Liz nodded. "I wouldn't believe me either."

"He basically knows everything now, Liz!" She exclaimed, smacking her manicured hands on the table. Liz noticed, for a split second, that one of her nails on her right hand had blood crusted underneath. "Well, he knows enough. But I was trying to take my time with this. I didn't want to tell him this soon –"

Liz scoffed, "Hadley, cut the bullshit. The guy needed to know sooner or later." Her words were cutthroat, causing Hadley's back to straighten. "You already showed him your true self when you killed his shitty friends. You can't keep yourself a mystery forever."

Hadley viewed away. "Mysteries are better," she whispered. With a low sigh, she turned back to the older woman. "Elizabeth once told me that it was much more fun to hide in the shadows, rather than the light. I've grown accustomed to that over the years."

She remembered the way Percy regarded at her when she found him, brows furrowing with distress. It was the same look Hadley had given her parents when she did something bad as a child. The paper had slipped from his hands so easily, as if he had given up the moment she set foot in the suite. Hadley remembered her cruel tone. She remembered the words she spewed at the one person she was trying to form a connection with. Regret filled her stomach.