SIXTEEN

CHAPTER 16
MEET THE PARENTS

"YOU are so irresponsible!" Elizabeth shrieked, waving her clawed hands in the air

"YOU are so irresponsible!" Elizabeth shrieked, waving her clawed hands in the air. "An irresponsible and impudent child."

Hadley picked at the skin around her nails – a nervous habit – as Elizabeth circled her, like a predator with its prey. She sat on her mother's cream-colored couch, sinking deep into the cushions as a way to hide. The living room was quiet, besides her mother's yelling and the crackling of a dwindling fire. The silence almost made Hadley wonder where Tristan was. She hadn't seen her mother's recent lover for quite some time, but she wasn't really complaining.

Elizabeth was accompanied by James March – much to her own disapproval – but once James heard the screams from his fictional family, he came running, willing to provide a father-figure role in the situation. Neither of them wanted him there.

She planted her feet right in front of Hadley, who slowly viewed up at her mother-figure. Elizabeth tried to scare her with the untamed rage in her stare, but Hadley couldn't be intimidated that easily. Elizabeth had made her see a lot of horrific things after she was turned – things that only monsters could handle. Her mother's sudden anger was nothing compared to that. Hadley's eyes went narrow as she said, "Well, you could've at least knocked."

Elizabeth's eyes burned with fury. She bent down to Hadley's eye level, jabbing a claw in her direction. "How dare you disobey me! How could you lie to me like that?!" She seethed through clenched teeth. "Who the fuck do you think you are? I don't know if I can ever trust you again!"

"Oh, calm down, Elizabeth," James cooed, resting a hand on the blonde's shoulder, which she quickly ripped off. "You can't blame her for wanting a boyfriend – for once."

Elizabeth whipped her head in James' direction. "He's a human blood bag. Not a boyfriend." She slowly turned back to Hadley, eyes forming into slits. "And also someone that should've been dead a long time ago, as I instructed."

Hadley stood up then. Her face was becoming hot, and she couldn't stop herself from moving close to her mother, glaring right into her icy stare. "You knew from the moment I told you that I was hesitant on killing him. He isn't a human blood bag to me." Her jaw shifted. "I felt a connection to him when we first met, much like how you were with me. I can be around humans without losing control. He cares about me. He doesn't mind that I'm infected. I feel like I've known him in another life."

Elizabeth lifted her chin, but she said nothing. It was like she was afraid to say something she'd regret.

"You cannot tell me that you've never felt something like that before," Hadley continued, softer this time. "I'm sorry I lied to you. I'm sorry for disobeying your orders, but I will not kill this one. You can't ask that of me."