FIVE

CHAPTER 5
DESSERT FOR LATER

"I can't believe you would do this!"

Hadley sat lazily against the plush white cushions, stretching one leg over the other. Her jeans and shirt were still stained with dried blood, masking the outfit of a serial killer, but her face held nothing of the sort. Tristan sat beside her on the couch as Elizabeth paced in front of them, releasing tsks from under her breath. Hadley took notice that Tristan was sitting a little too close for her liking, as if he wasn't satisfied with her creator's presence alone. Maybe he and Elizabeth were alike in that way.

"Do you have any idea what you've done?" The Countess shrieked, pointing a clawed finger in Hadley's direction. She had made herself up for the evening – so had Tristan – and she hadn't expected Hadley to barge in as they waited for the elevator. But once Elizabeth saw the blood on her daughter's clothes, she knew this wouldn't be good. "You've threatened to expose our virus to the whole bloody city!"

Hadley tried to act nonchalant under Elizabeth's gaze, but it was hard when she was staring at her with such an immense fury that even made Tristan shudder. "I don't really see what the problem is, mama."

Elizabeth shot her a deadly glare, one full of malice and wrath, as she leaned down to her eye level. Her red lips formed into a tight frown and her dark irises narrowed into slits. "You found a meal of three boys," she whispered, holding up three fingers. "But you left one –" Only one finger snapped up. "– alive!"

Hadley opened her mouth to speak, but after realizing that she had nothing good to say, she shut it, sitting further back into the cushions. She felt like such a child, hiding away from her mother as she chastised her with a raised finger. Hadley wanted to roll her eyes, but instead, she simply kept herself quiet.

"Just answer one question for me," Elizabeth said, squaring her shoulders with a calmer tone, "why didn't you just kill them all? It's not hard. You've done it thousands of times."

The brunette glanced away from her creator for a moment, debating her options. She could tell her the truth: maybe – just maybe – she saw something special in Percy, whether it be a friend or a lover. She just saw something and she wanted him around. Or maybe she could tell Elizabeth a lie: she felt bad for killing his friends right in front of him. The lie was so unbelievable. Anyone who knew Hadley Monroe knew she'd never leave a body because she felt sympathy.

But as Hadley opened her mouth again, someone spoke for her: "Maybe she wanted some dick," Tristan shrugged.

Hadley whipped her head in his direction, eyes forming into thin slits. "Do you ever shut up?"

Tristan smirked, leaning a bit too close to her face while slinging an arm across the side of the couch. "Why don't you make me?"

She shoved him away forcefully, knocking him back into his original spot. Tristan almost thought her strength gave him whiplash. Hadley scoffed, expression twisting as she muttered, "Why don't you go stuff your mouth with a dick?"