The Nightmare

Thank you, soul_eater_smut, for inspiring this chapter :3
Happy reading!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everything was dark.
Everything was so... cold. 

You couldn't keep your balance. 
The ice... the ice was just too slick...
Ropes were slithering across the black, frozen water like vipers.

You tried to run from them, but you could barely move your legs.

They were catching up to you. 
You barely moved an inch at a time.

They made it to you.

They wound around your ankles, your wrists, your throat... 

You tried to fight them, but again your strength failed you.

You fell on your face as they dragged you towards a hole in the ice. 

You tried to shout... to scream... but no sound would come from your mouth. 

You couldn't breathe.

It dragged you to the edge of the ice, and you free fell into whatever hell that lay below...

A shock jerked through your stomach, causing you to sit straight up in bed.

You held your knees to your stomach and clamped your hands over your face, trying to stop the gasping, and the crying, but you couldn't for the life of you...

Suddenly, you heard the door creak open, and felt two large hands gently grab your wrists, pulling them away from your face.
For a split second, you resisted, your mind still filled with those ropes wrapping around your limbs.
But you stopped struggling when you looked into the eyes of the man in front of you.

Both of his eyes.

His monocle was gone, and in its place was an eye very much like his other, except this one was red.  A beautiful, deep red.

Black Hat was peering at your face silently, but with so much tenderness you wondered if you were still dreaming.

BH: "Don't you realize you're keeping everyone awake?" he whispered softly.

His voice calmed you down, but instead of pulling yourself together, you ended up crying even more.

How embarrassing... Sobbing in front of your boss like some kid...
He must've been so annoyed by you...

He let go your wrists and...

And he wrapped his arms around your back, holding you tightly to his chest...

BH: "You don't have to hold back... not for me... alright?"

You must've still been dreaming... You had to be...

Yes, of course... You would close your eyes and he would just disappear...

You blinked a few times, but... He was still there. 

You gripped his robe as you wept, trying to see if he was real. 
He only held you tighter, even started stroking your head like a small kitten.

Eventually you settled down, only sniffling from time to time.

Black Hat's rhythmic breathing soothed you to the point where your eyelids drooped, and your mind filled with a pleasant, peaceful fogginess...

BH POV

(Y/N) fell asleep, leaning against Black Hat's chest.

Dammit...

She was so soft... so warm...

He couldn't believe someone so strong was practically bawling in his arms just moments ago...

He let out a low growl, making (Y/N) stir, but thankfully not waking her up.

Rosette...

Rosette did this...

She would pay for what she did to
(Y/N).

She would pay, indeed...

Black Hat attempted to lay (Y/N) back on the bed.  But when he tried to pull away, he found that she was clasping to his robes.

BH: *sigh* "moron... lovely, angelic, moron..."

In truth, he was tempted to stay with her, perhaps rest on her chest as they both slept...

But he shook the thought from his head and steadily untangled her delicate fingers from his clothes.

He timidly wiped away the tears from her face before climbing off the bed, trying not to make it creak.

He stopped at the doorway and looked back at her sleeping figure.

BH: "Is that the last time I'll be able to hold you, my dear?"

Realizing what he just said, his eyes widened, he left the room, and he slowly shut the door behind him.

He wandered the halls like a ghost, questioning everything he'd once thought he'd known...