Preparing

The next few days was awkward for Laura. Seeing Papa Nihil every morning with his words echoing in her mind. Cardinal did everything to calm her down, but nothing worked.  Everyday, Laura watched Papa Nihil fit armor on his horse. She felt so much guilt she doesn't leave her room. Every night, Cardinal tries his best. 

"My love...it's not that big of a deal..." He says softly as he sits next to her on her bed. 

"Go away, Copia." She demanded. Cardinal's heart sunk. 

"Laura, please. I am trying my best to calm you down and all I'm getting is lip." He snaps.  Laura sat up quickly. 

"No one asked for your fucking help!" Laura shouted while shaking. Cardinal then stood up and towered over her. 

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that. Now, what did you say to me you little cunt?" Cardinal's voice got deep. Laura was now scared of her lover. She backed away. 

"I...I need to go..." She shoved him aside and ran down to the altar room. She didn't sleep at all. Morning comes and Cardinal and Papa are the first to breakfast. Laura could feel the tears in her eyes build up. 

"Good morning" Papa spoke sweetly. Without saying anything, she went outside to feed the horses. Hours pass and Laura stands on the church balcony clearing her mind. She felt a hand on her shoulder. She tensed up but didn't turn around. She felt his hand move and she gave in. She turns around. He is on his knees. 

"My darling, I beg for your forgiveness..." 

"Why don't you crawl back into whatever hole you came out of" She snapped. 

"Please...i truly-" Something cut him off. It was a scream of a ghoul. A terrifying shriek. They both put their problems aside and run to the ghoul. When they get there, before them lied a bloody ghoul.

"It's their first attack" Papa said quietly and calmly. 

"How do we know it was them and not by accident?" Sister asked concerned. Papa kneeled by the injured ghoul. He looked through his fur to eventually find a bullet. 

"Yes...those damn catholics!" Papa shouted with rage. It frightened Cardinal. Even Sister. They take the ghoul inside as Papa gets his armor. As did the warrior ghouls. Later that night, Laura's mind swam with horrible thoughts. She heard Sister crying...which was a first. 

"What if you don't return..." She spoke softly, trying to fight the tears. 

"I will return, amica mea" Papa was a softie at heart. "Besides, you have Laura to help you. She's a good kid." 

Laura's stomach fluttered. She smiled for the first time in days. She tried to creep by, but Papa stopped her. 

"Speak of the devil," He teased. "There's some things I want to say to you" He said. Laura sat down in between them. 

"You are my daughter. Even if you are not blood. I still love you. I'm fighting for you two and our church" Papa spoke softly to calm the girl down. 

"Thank you, Papa..." Laura said as she yawns. 

"Rest here tonight, it will help all of us" Papa said sweetly and they lied down. The last thing Laura heard before drifting to sleep was Papa praying. He sounded unsure of the war.