Challenges lie ahead

The next morning, Laura went to check on Cardinal. He was awake on his phone and he was ready to leave again. So they did. 

"Sleep well?" Laura asked.  He nodded. The walk to their bedroom was...awkward. Which worried Laura. She let him go first and usually he denies and lets her go first, but that didn't happen this time. He kinda shoved her out of the way to go to his bed. She just stood in the doorway as he looked up at her. 

"I need to ask you something" He said as he put his phone down. 

"Okay..."  She responded nervous. 

"I still don't know what 'we' were before my accident. Like husband and wife...or just your typical relationship" 

The thought of him as her husband made her blush. But she pushed that feeling aside and spoke. 

"I was yours...and no one else's" She said sad. She felt him scoot her closer. 

"That sounds heavenly...but I'm afraid until I'm well again, we need to remain friends" That made her heart sink. Her dream was to be by his side. She stood up. 

"I...I need to go..." She chocked up and ran out of his bedroom before he could speak. That night, she went to her balcony and sat on the railing. She had been crying for hours. But Cardinal eventually came to check on her. 

"Sweetheart" He said calm. No response. 

"Sweetheart..." He said again and touched her shoulder. He could feel her tense up as he put his other arm around her waste to prevent her from falling. 

"What..." Her voice was hoarse. 

"You usually come to see me after dinner, I didn't even see you then" 

"I didn't feel like eating..." She said once again sad. 

"You're a blessing, you truly are. But I need to focus on my health" She muttered something under her breath. 

"Pardon?" 

"THIS IS YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT! I TOLD YOU NOT TO GO TO WAR!" She shouted which made him flinch and move back. 

"You don't know what you're saying..." He said now scared.  She hopped down from the railing and stared him dead in the eyes. 

"I told you that you could die or get hurt and you left anyways. Days I waited. Days I thought you died. Denied food and sleep all for your dumbass" She said through teeth. 

"I want you to sleep on this. Because right now, I don't want to be around you. Goodnight, Laura." He said in a very stern voice and walked away. Rage and sadness took over her that night.