Chapter 2

Another miserable rainy night, and the whole castle had fallen into an eerily quiet sleep. James Potter felt shivers travel up and down his spine as he travelled the soundless corridor, although it was probably just the cold. He didn't particularly like being up on a dreary autumn night, but he did like playing detective, solving the mystery of how one of the girls he hated the most in the entire castle seemed like someone he hadn't met before, like a completely different person. So, just as he had done the previous night, he snuck out to the backdoor leading to the Black Lake to see Robin White leaping happily through the rain.

Was this considered stalking? Not until she'd continuously told him to stop contacting her.

He would know; it's no secret that James was the poster boy for infatuation.

To be fair, though, he didn't have much time to think about that, before she turned around and spotted him there, a few feet ahead of her. Her face went through a myriad of emotions: shocked, embarrassed, furious-- before finally settling on a cold mask of indifference.

"What are you doing here?" James raked his mind for an excuse, but none came to mind. It didn't help that before he could even open his mouth, she shouted, "Silencio!" she aimed her want at him.

James opened his mouth to apologise, but his vocal cords were stuck, and clearly so was he.

"Don't even try to apologise! Er--not that you can anymore." she shook her head and muttered a few inaudible words under her breath. "You can't sneak up on me like that! If anyone knew I would be ruined, I-" She stopped herself suddenly, looking at the ground like a guilty child, then waved her wand. He then uttered the few words he knew would make her crumble at his feet.

"I never wanted to tell anyone! I just saw you yesterday and you looked so peaceful... and if I'm completely honest, quite beautiful..."

Her cold mask melted and she clutched her heart. James barely stopped himself from grinning, knowing that he'd managed to talk himself out of another situation that could only have ended badly. He received detention on an almost hourly basis, and if he didn't know how to talk himself out of it every now and then, how would he have any time to himself?

"Alright," she conceded, "I'll let you go. But you have to promise not to speak a word about this to anyone." She turned around, not wanting to have a conversation with someone she didn't actually like. It was either awkward small talk or merciless insults, there was no in between. Robin didn't like either one of those options. She started to walk away.

"Wait, Robin!" he grabbed her wrist and pulled her back.

"Don't push your luck," she warned, but he persisted anyway.

"Why don't we stay?"

She gave him a 'you're crazy' look, "Absolutely not."

"I want to learn how to dance on rainy days."

She let out a slight chuckle. "You want to learn how to dance?" she questioned, crossing her arms over her chest. "Take a ballet class. Don't talk to me about it like we're friends."

"No, I want to know why it makes you seem like less of a bitch."

She sent a resentful glare in his direction. No one can just throw insults at her like it was nothing. Not without paying the price. Biting back a snarky retort, she placed her hands on her hips and weighed her options for a moment. She wasn't really sure how reliable James actually was, so if she didn't do this, he might tell the whole school what she was caught doing. That couldn't happen-- people would have her head.

"Fine. Every rainy night. Midnight sharp. Right here. Don't be late," she said accusingly, but stalked off into the castle halls with the smallest of smiles on her face. If I can't make him back down without endangering myself, she thought, I'll make this awful as as I can.

Things were about to get very interesting for the pair of them.