Chapter 9

James wanted to do something about this. About this anonymous blackmail, but he knew that if he shouldn't hide his friends from the school... What would that show about his dignity? That he let's himself be blackmailed and lies to his friends?

He had made his decision. He would go on with his life. And then, perhaps, if thing go very badly, he could play the victim card. Happy with his decision, he reached for the doorknob, then slowly and quietly made his way outside, just like every night.

He found Robin waiting in a pair of jeans and a white shirt, and he started walking over to her before he remembered something : Lily.
He hadn't thought about her every night for the past week. He'd seen her a few days earlier, and she'd looked at him as if expecting him to talk to her, and he didn't. The next day the same thing happened. And today, that day, she had looked at him somewhat... Respectfully. Like she almost like him.

But why were these feelings only resurfacing now? As he was looking at Robin all he saw was Lily. Was this some kind of sign? That his brain was reminding him of Lily so he wouldn't forget her? Or that he could choose between the two?

He tried to push those thoughts aside as he talked to Robin, but it proved more difficult than he thought. He was tired, distraught. Every time he looked into Robin's electric blue eyes, he saw Lily's green ones. Every time he looked at her wavy brown hair he saw Lily's red hair. But he didn't get enough sleep. He didn't see Robin as who she was, and he did what was at the time the biggest mistake he had ever made.

He kissed her.

He regained his senses and realised what he had done. But it was too late. The familiar snap of a camera sounded as he looked up, only to find no one.

But later that year he would be happy he had made that mistake. Some risks you just have to take and that one was one of them, as it was what brought them close.

At least, until Robin found out.