Chapter 23

"Alright." Sirius approached Robin at the Slytherin table with the rest of the Marauders, receiving a few glares, but no one said anything, either feeling like they didn't care or they shouldn't mind. "Tonight is the full moon, which means that you will have to finish your animagus transformation. Meet us at Hagrid's shack at 10pm. Don't be late."

They left the table, but Robin grabbed Remus by the forearm, the latter wincing at the girl's harsh movements.

"Are you okay? You look a little bit sick." Robin asked Remus, worrying for her friend.

"I'm fine." Remus broke free from her grip and followed his friends back to his house table.

Robin sighed and tried to turn her attention back to her food, but her eyes were glued to the boy. What was he hiding?

*

Robin hugged her arms as her teeth clattered in the cold air. Humid electricity filled the air, the booming thunder making her jump every time it wad heard. She stared up at the full moon on the horizon, just starting to rise, but not quite.

She looked off into the distance, at Hogwarts Castle, watching intently as a darkened figure approached Hagrid's hut.

"Well, look at that!" James beamed, "You weren't late."

"No sh-shit, Sherlock." she stuttered, glaring at the boy in front of her, who was seemingly unfazed by the cold. He stood in some muggle jeans and a grey t-shirt, no coat or cloak to protect him. He carried a large pouch on his wrist, which made the insufferable sound of glass bottles banging against each other every time he  every time he walked.

"Well, Robin dear, I believe it's time to start." he stated, nodding his head towards the moon now fully visible, though still low in the sky.

"Just give me the potions you moron."

James faked a shocked expression. "I am hurt, Robin. Why would you ever call me such an insulting thing?"

Robin chose to ignore him and grabbed the glass vial. She tipped the contents into her throat and swallowed it.

"That is the most vile thing I have ever put in my mouth." Robin shuddered.

"Let's not talk about what you've had in your mouth." James grinned. "Now this one."

"How long did it take to brew these?" she asked, swallowing the second potion.

"About a month." He answered with a shrug, "Alright now repeat after me: Amato Animo Animato Animagus."

"Amato Animo Animato Animagus." she repeated with difficulty. It was quite the tongue twister.

"Another time."

"Amato Animo Animato Animagus."

"Again."

"Amato Animo Animato Animagus."

"Alright. Now have you ever conjured a Patronus?"

"Yes." Robin replied - she'd struggled with the spell for quite some time before managing to fully cast it. And a lot of the time, she still found it difficult to do, even in her seventh year.

"It's a little bit like that. Think of something that... Defines you. It can be anything. A memory, a trait, a person..."

Robin closed her eyes and concentrated. Her family was cold and pushed far too many expectations on her that she'd only recently discovered the full extent of. The way they'd messed her up for her own future without even knowing was infuriating, and she couldn't even tell them.

She only had friends. The kind that stuck by her side to protect her, that laughed at her jokes almost as much as she laughed at theirs - true friendship. They were her family, not the people that raised her.

She thought of her days dancing it the rain with James. It was supposed to be forgotten, but how could she ever even try? She thought of potions class, their various bets and inside jokes. She felt a burning sensation in her chest. Her limbs were twisted in agony, her head heavy on her shoulders and she grasped it, trying to escape the feeling of thousands of knifes that broke through her skin. She cried out, tugging at her hair and dropping to her knees. Somebody placed their hands on her back gently but it did little to calm the pain.

The biting pain soon subsided into a dull ache. She was no longer cold. At least not when she was covered in grey fur.

"A lynx. Who would've thought." James muttered, but he sounded more worried than amazed, "We have to leave. Get as far away from the Whomping Willow as possible. Get inside the cas-"

He was cut of by a low growl from a few metres away. Robin stood frozen in fear, but James seemed to know exactly what he was doing. Robin barely had the time to blink before the boy towering over her animal form was turned into a majestic stag. Robin managed to break out of her state of disbelief as soon and the deer pounced over her with ease and grace, only to find its way to the creature behind her. The lynx circled around, looking it's attacker in the eye.

She found herself face to face with a Werewolf. And finally, in the face of danger with adrenaline pumping through her (even in her current form), she felt alive.