Joseph's Home

Sebastian went to the kitchen, where Juanita was preparing dinner. "Have an eye on Lily, yes? Joseph and I are grabbing some stuff."

"Yes, Mr Castellanos." Juanita could speak his last name better than himself. She was Mexican, an immigrant who'd do any job to find a base to live. But unlike many others, Juanita really was eager to bring herself in. She took English classes and was writing many applications to be able to work in her dream job: child care worker. But she hadn't been successful yet, which was good for him since she made their lives so much easier. She didn't talk much about her private life but apparently her husband cheated on her, or something like that, since she wasn't able to get any children. Now she was in her mid-fifty's and probably couldn't get any children anymore, even if her body would have allowed it before.

"Luego nos vemos!" He gave her a little smile and grabbed the car keys.

"Hasta pronto!  Your accent is still terrible.", Juanita said with a smirk.

"Gracias." Sebastian laughed. "I was better once, you know? My great-grandparents were Spanish and they couldn't speak a word English."

"You slowed down."

"Yes, I did." Sebastian laughed again. "But it's still enough to communicate."

Juanita nodded and waved, as Sebastian left the kitchen. Joseph already was waiting in the hallway. They went outside and got into Sebastian's red Jeep.

"I didn't know you needed such a big car.", Joseph said with a completely straight face.

"Eh? What do you want to say with that?!"

"Nothing." Joseph now had to laugh.

Sebastian boxed his shoulder. "You're mean, Joseph. I love this car. I bought it two month ago as a birthday present for myself."

"It's nice." Joseph looked out the window. "I just don't get why you need a Jeep in a city like Krimson."

"It's not like it's a safari-car! It's a Grand Cherokee WL. And it's fancy!"

"And it surely needs a lot of gasoline."

"Don't ruin it." Sebastian pouted.

"I won't. It's a nice car."

"What are your driving?"

"You never noticed?"

"No?"

"I'm driving to work every day."

"That surely needs a lot of gasoline."

"Yes... it does." Joseph sighed. "I've got a Toyota."

"Which one?"

"A black Mark II X110. Built in 2001. I bought it when I moved to America. Enough?"

"Yes, I think I know that car. Saw it in the parking lot from time to time."

"Yeah, it's mine." Joseph leaned back in the seat.

"Could you add your address to the navigation system? Else we'll get lost." Sebastian started the engine.

Joseph took the navigation system and tipped. Sebastian took a quick look at the address. "Oh, you're living in the suburb?"

"Yes, but it's really close to the city. Only three minutes by car. Well, and another twenty to the police department. I would go by bus but the connection is horrible."

"I see." Sebastian stopped at a red traffic light and looked at his partner. "What were you doing here last night. You were far from home."

Joseph looked down at his shoes. "I... I had an appointment. And I took the bus because I wasn't in a hurry. After it I thought I could buy some cheese because I'm running low on it and... I never made it to the shop."