Zoo

Joseph was a real patient person. Sebastian learned that from the first day on they met and got introduced as new partners. He wasn't very happy that he had to leave Myra and let Joseph feel his anger. The younger one endured it without a word. He just sat down on his desk and started to do their work, while Sebastian still complained about him.

"Why do they give the wimpy fag to me?!", he recalled spitting out in front of Joseph. The one who literally did nothing wrong. He was brought into the office by the chief and introduced himself politely. Sebastian didn't even take his hand.

But Sebastian's opinion changed when he entered the archives one day later. It was during lunch break and he wanted to get some files they needed later that day.

When he entered the room, he heard a quiet sobbing. Carefully he went further, seeing Joseph leaning with his head against one of the metal lockers, the files in his right hand, his glasses in the left. He was shaking and Sebastian saw tears dropping to the ground.

"Hey."

Joseph's body twitched when Sebastian spoke. He slowly turned around, taking his glasses back on.

"I was just getting the files.", he said, trying to keep his voice calm.

"More like pouring them." Sebastian crossed his arms.

"I'm sorry." Joseph walked past by him.

"Hey, wait." Sebastian grabbed his sleeve. He looked at him with those wet brown eyes that let Sebastian's heart melt. "I should be sorry."

Something changed in Joseph's face. "It's okay. You don't have to be nice. Just... please refuse from making fun of me in front of the others." He lowered his head a little as if he wanted to bow. "I beg you."

"Whoa, keep it down, Canuck." Sebastian let go of him. "I'm no bully. I'm just angry about the rules, you know? I wanted to keep my former partner."

"Why can't you?"

"Because I'm gonna marry her."

Joseph looked at him and a few more tears were dripping from his eyes. "Congratulations."

"Thanks." Sebastian sighed. "Look, I'm really sorry for being so hard on you. It's not your fault. You probably didn't want me as a partner, too." He scratched his head.

"You are the nicest person here." Joseph smiled a little. "I saw how you treat the others. How experienced you are. So I volunteered to be your partner. It's sad that you don't like me. I hoped to get treated like the others."

"I... I didn't want to make you cry."

"Don't worry. That has nothing to do with you. I'm just having a hard time right now and sometimes it's difficult to keep it together."

"Then how about I invite you to lunch at the diner, partner?" Sebastian smiled at him and Joseph smiled back. Since then they were inseparable partners.

Sebastian opened his eyes. It wasn't usual for him to dream memories but this night it did happen. It almost was like he relived the days. He almost forgot about catching Joseph crying in the archives and he never questioned it back then. But now it hit him like a gunshot. His boyfriend must have died at that time. How often did he cry in a corner in those days? It couldn't be just this one time...

He took a look on the alarm clock and sat up in shock. It was already 9am. Why didn't Myra wake him up for work?!

He jumped out of the bed and was already halfway to the closet as he remembered that it was Saturday. No work today, only zoo.