Counting Elephants

When they came back to the kitchen they noticed in surprise that Joseph wasn't there yet. They hurried up but sure took their time. How could it be that he was slower than them?

"I'm so hungry!" Lily pouted.

"Just eat, darling." Sebastian smiled at her. "I'm gonna look after Jo-Jo." The worries were back in no second. While Myra was sitting down Sebastian went back to the bathroom, entering without knocking.

Joseph was sitting on the ground, wrapped in the towel. He didn't even put on clothes yet, not even his glasses. He just stared into emptiness.

"Joseph?" Sebastian kneeled down. He looked at him but it was apathetic. It horrified him. "Partner? You hear me?"

Joseph blinked, obviously getting clearer again. "Oh... Sebastian. What...?"

"You started dreaming again."

"Did I?" Joseph rubbed his eyes.

"Just get dressed already. Dinner is waiting." Sebastian smiled a little.

"Oh shit... I'm sorry! I... got lost somehow."

"I noticed that." Sebastian chuckled. "I didn't know you were such a dreamer."

"It's not actually dreaming. I'm just thinking too much." Joseph scratched his head. This movement lowered the towel, exposing his torso. Sebastian had to gulp. There were too many scars of self-harm he didn't even notice before. No wonder Joseph didn't want to shower with them in the department...

"So... you're scratching yourself?"

"Yes... that happens." Joseph pulled back the towel but he couldn't hide what Sebastian already had seen.

"How about... you don't?"

"I'll try." Joseph sighed.

"Please do." Sebastian hugged him again.

"Could you please stop hugging me while I'm naked?" Joseph now sounded a bit more like his normal self again.

Sebastian grinned. "You don't have to be ashamed.", he said, while pulling him closer.

"No, apparently you have to be!" Joseph tried to free himself but Sebastian didn't let him go. "Please just stop it!"

"Beg me."

"I am begging you!"

"A little bit more."

"Get off me!" Joseph kicked his stomach, pushing him away with force and then crouched down, breathing hard.

"Jo... I... I'm sorry." Sebastian immediately knew he made a mistake.

"You're just saying the same things he did... I don't want to hear that from your mouth again!"

Sebastian felt the emptiness coming back. "I... I..." He didn't even find words anymore.

"Listen, I know you've been kidding, but I don't find it very funny."

"I... I'm so sorry. I just... Can I... do something else for you?"

"You could leave and let me get dressed."

Sebastian nodded, getting up on his feet again.

"And... sorry for kicking you." Joseph got up as well. "Does it hurt?"

He shook his head. "I'm good. Saving you a seat."

"I'll come in a minute."

Sebastian left the bathroom, sitting down in the kitchen quietly. Myra looked at him. "Joseph?"