Shattered

The sudden silence in the room was deafening. I couldn't take my eyes off of Sean, as my brain tried to process the sight of him sitting here in my parents house. My sister's arm entwined with his, Her hand clutching his knee. Her hand, that was sporting a large glittering diamond ring sat on her finger. I felt my stomach flop, I didn't even register that my mother had began talking again. 

 "Oh and this, Sean, is Evan Daniels," I felt Evan nudge me slightly as he acknowledged my mother's words, snapping me out of my frozen state as she continued: "You'll find that him and Roxanne are inseparable."

 Sean narrowed his eyes a touch, directing his gaze at me.

 "Are you two dating?" He asked. His voice was low, and it sounded like he was trying hard to keep it steady, but there was a hint of something like anger there.

Evan wrapped his arms around my waist from behind pulling me against him in a tight embrace. I knew instantly what he was trying to do, but I didn't care as I finally felt some kind of comfort for the first time since I'd walked into this room tonight. I was safe, Evan was here. 

 "Wouldn't you like to know." Evan's tone was mocking and I felt myself smile, knowing the smirk he was giving Sean right now. 

 "No honey, they aren't a couple, not these days anyway." Mel snuggled against Sean as she winked in my direction.

Although me and Mel weren't close, there was no hostility there between us, just the acknowledgement that we aren't alike and that we therefore live different lives, ones that in general do not cross. Apart from occasions like tonight.

My mother made a slight sound of disapproval whilst my father shifted awkwardly. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. I knew she was only teasing but she just opened another can of worms for my mother to use against me.

 "They never were a couple actually, sadly Roxanne doesn't know a good thing when she sees one." 

 "Well true they weren't an official couple but they had quite the-" Melody began.

 As I silently pleaded with her to shut up I noticed Sean, out of the corner of my eye, watching me intently. I fought against the desire to look back at him, keeping my gaze fixed on the bar in the corner, longing to just head on over for a drink. Before I could move I felt Evan tighten his arms around me slightly, just like him, he'd managed to anticipate my move and was stopping me, knowing just what drama would ensue if I were to act on my impulse.

^^^^ Melody ^^^^ - Jessica Alba: Image Credit: Google Images

 "Now now Melody, Sean doesn't wish to hear the ins and outs of your sisters... Personal life."