Family Ties

The following week was so busy with work that I hadn't had much time to see or even speak to Sean. Of course I was annoyingly up to date with the wedding preparations courtesy of Mel.

"You have all the connections, it would be easy enough to do." Evan called from the kitchen.

It was finally friday again, and I was kicking back in my pyjamas on the sofa, Evan was making popcorn and Scream was sitting in the DVD player ready to be played.

"I suppose you have a point." I called back, throwing my slipper boots into the chair opposite and pulling the blanket from the back of the couch.

Evan came round the corner, carrying a large bowl of microwave popcorn. My stomach growled at the smell.

"Half sweet, half salted." He smiled, thrusting it into my hands and disappearing back into the kitchen, returning a moment later with a rack of coronas.

"Just think about it, switching her rose bouquet with a sunflower one,"

"She hates sunflowers." I tilted my head in thought.

"Exactly, and she would, vampires hate anything with 'sun' in the title."

I laughed and Evan picked up my legs, sitting on the couch and letting them rest across his lap.

"Call the caterers, order the food she hates and the decorators, tell them the theme is no longer winter wonderland, it's now Santa's grotto. Green and red stripes and bells everywhere, elfish waiters, little toys and miniature everything."

I nearly choked on the popcorn I was eating, laughing at the mental image of Mel seeing all of her ice sculptures, and sparkly decorations replaced with childlike clashing colours and patterns, mini tables and chairs, and caterers with pointy ears.

"As funny as that would be, I don't think it would stop the wedding." I sighed.

Evan made a small disgruntled hmph, then took a handful of popcorn.

"Can we at least call the dress shop, tell them she's three months pregnant already, and that they need to let the dress out, waaaaay out?"

I bit the inside of my cheek in thought.

"I'll think about it."

Evan punched his fist in the air with a cheer.

"Tell me again, why are rewatching this movie?"

"Because it's a classic, and after the week I've had with work, I'm in the mood to watch some idiots, who don't know how to run away properly, get murdered."

Evan nodded, tossing a piece of popcorn in his mouth.

"Fair enough."

I hit play, shuffling into the cushions as the sound of the phone ringing signalled the start of the movie. It was just after the first murder scene when my phone chimed. Rolling my eyes I pulled up the text message. It was from Mel, and the further I read, the more pissed off I felt.

"What's up?" Evan asked when I threw my phone on top of the cushion, looking back to the television.

"Mel, it looks like my wonderful family, is having a dinner with Sean's family tomorrow, and I'm ordered to be there, and on best behaviour."

Evan's eyes widened.

"Oh."

"Yep." I bit the inside of my cheek and picked up the remote, rewinding it to just before she got killed, and hitting play.