A Brief Moment

I found myself sitting at the table in the kitchen the next morning, absent mindedly pushing my scrambled eggs around my plate. It had been a long, restless night with my mind replaying the evening's events, whilst my stomach flipped with nerves about the pending meet up with Sean. Finally deciding that I wasn't hungry I got up, scraping the barely eaten food into the bin before rinsing my plate and heading to the living room. It was barely eleven, I felt the mix of anticipation and unease eating me up from inside as I watched the clock hands move round second by second. A few minutes had passed before I jumped up from the couch and headed upstairs.

Walking through my room I pulled a towel from the wardrobe and made my way into my bathroom, pulling off my pyjamas and turning on the shower. The sound of the water was instantly relaxing to me, steam began to fill the room as I twisted my hair up into a clip and then stepped under the water. The warmth was an instant comfort, soothing away the tension in my body. For a while I just stood there, relishing in the first piece of relaxation I had managed to get in the last twenty four hours. I tried to keep my mind clear but it was impossible. Reaching out I grabbed the bottle of shower gel from the hook. Rubbing the creamy lather over my skin, I inhaled the delicious, warm, sweet scent of Shea Butter and Ginger. I closed my eyes as Sean's face swam in my mind. His gorgeous smile, beautiful eyes, muscular body. My hands continued to softly caress my dripping skin whilst my mind played with the idea of Sean's hands replacing my own. Big and strong, firmly tracing circles over my shoulders... down my back and over my hip. I bit my lip as I imagined him tracing the sweet foam over my bare stomach, before moving lower and dipping between my legs. A loud bell sound tore me out of the moment. My eyes flew open, my brain registering I was still alone in my shower. Quickly rinsing the rest of the bubbles from my body I turned off the shower, wrapped the towel securely around myself and made my way back downstairs to the front door.

"Just a sec!" I called as I reached the last few stairs.

I hurried forwards, unlocking the door and swinging it open. A delivery driver stood on the step a small package in hand, his eyes bulged as they did a slow sweep over my semi naked self. Temporarily amused, I leant against the doorframe, a newly placed playful smirk in place. He made a small coughing sound as he cleared his throat and fixed his eyes on my face.

"Miss Roxy Parks?" he asked nervously.

"That's me."

"Delivery for you, could I just get you to sign please?" He held out a small black handheld device, taking hold of it, I made a quick squiggle of my signature and handed it back. He gave a small nod of his head, a flash of a smile and then handed over the small package, before turning and leaving. I stepped back inside, pushing the door closed with my foot. I tore open the parcel, finding a small black velvet box inside, opening it up I saw a golden butterfly charm for a bracelet, and a note underneath in looped caligraphy writing:

Sorry... M x

Rolling my eyes I closed the box and tossed it onto the coffee table. Typical Mel, thinking money and gifts will solve everything. I laughed as I was brought to the familiar realisation of just how little she knows me. I don't even own a charm bracelet, I've never been inclined to wear one. She will never understand that I don't want presents, I don't want empty words. Shrugging it off I went back upstairs to my room. Deciding to try to kill some time I grabbed a pair of yoga pants and a comfy baggy shirt, pulled them on and laid back on the bed, pulling my laptop towards me, starting up Netflix I kicked back and started re-watching episodes of Slasher.

At One O'clock I closed the laptop and started getting ready, after putting on a light dusting of make up I threw open the wardrobe and immediately began to curse for not pre selecting my outfit. I never usually cared much with this kind of thing. I wear what I like, and never really overthink it. But today, I'm meeting Sean, a guy I can't help but like, and who is engaged to my sister. What the fuck is the right outfit to wear for this? pulling a few of my favourite dresses from the rack, I started holding them against me one at a time, before casting them aside a moment later. None felt right, too dressy, too smart, too professional, too "club", too short, too fancy.... Sighing I ran my fingers through my hair. Taking a look at the clock I saw it was nearing quarter to two. Although I lived five minutes from the park I didn't want to be late. I took a slow, deep breath, desperate to gather my composure. Looking inside my closet again I saw a pair of black skinny jeans and a new red cold shoulder top. Deciding this would do, casual but chic enough to look like I made an effort, I quickly changed into them and snatched up a pair of black heels. Making a run for the stairs I looped my small cross body handbag over myself and slid on my shoes before walking out on to the street.