Chapter Six

Each betrayal
begins with trust

-Martin Luther

Days passed. Each one being the same as the last: eat breakfast at the pavilion, soldiers of Chaos train the campers (with harsh workouts and many, many complaints), two hours of break (for me it was training in the Chaos cabin or sitting on the beach), and then training again until dinner.

The only thing that didn't bore me to death was my nightly talks with Parker. During those talks, I realized he didn't exactly fit any cabin stereotypes.

Ares campers were great fighters, but harsh and arrogant. Parker could practically handle every weapon perfectly- he mainly trained with a regular sword- but avoided boasting. Parker contained the wit and cleverness of Athena campers, but also an immature sense of humor that Hermes and Poseidon campers carried. The kid had good looks too, ones that would have the Aphrodite cabin jealous, but refused to rub in it other campers' faces.

"I just want to know who my parents are," Parker said to me while we walked along the shoreline.

Other campers would rather stick a fork in an electrical socket than come near me. Parker was the only person, aside from my army and Chiron, that spoke to me. They all tried to avoid me due to the warmup mile I gave to them on the first training day. Punishment miles for slacking off and rudeness were also given. But this was only during training...

The campers had no idea. They assumed I would make them run if they so much as looked at me.

I didn't hate the campers avoiding me. If they weren't, that would lead to questions about my identity. I don't need campers figuring that out and wondering why I left.

"What about you? Do you know your parents?" Parker asked me, coming to a stop.

I let out a breath. "My mother is a mortal and is probably better off without me. Chaos became my father after my real dad disowned me. Chaos is probably the best father you could ever hope for, even if he isn't blood."

"I guess my mentor is similar to Chaos then. I can't picture her adopting me or anything like that, but she took me under her wing and taught me everything I know."

"I'd like to meet your mentor," I told Parker, genuinely. "When is she coming back from her quest?"

He offered up a smile. "Any day now."

As on cue, the conch shell we used to use to signal monster attacks sent out a pattern of sounds I never heard before.

"Speak of the devil," Parker chuckled softly. He turned and began to jog away. I stood there for a second in confusion.

Parker turned around, walking backward. "Come on, Old Man! Just because you're old, doesn't mean I won't leave you behind!"

Chuckling at his antics, I followed him to Thalia's Tree where almost every camper was also heading. Some campers, especially the older ones, looked optimistic, but also not too optimistic. The majority of the campers were either confused about what was going on or curious. My soldiers just observed the scene with blank stares.

Right at the base of Thalia's Tree stood Blackjack and a girl jumping down from him. The person was wearing a Yankees baseball cap backward. Despite being far away from the person, I could tell that she was wearing armor underneath the gray sweatshirt.