I Promise

Pearl and I arrived back at the temple. I turned to Pearl and smiled.

"Thank you for coming with me to get my things, Pearl." She looked down at me and smiled.

"Oh, it's no trouble at all!" She stopped walking once we got to the top of the stairs. She looked down at me, a serious and nervous expression plastered to her face.

"Now _____________, are you sure you want to come with us?" I nodded.

"Of course! You guys are like my second family, I don't want to stay behind while you go off on a dangerous mission. I want to be there for you guys!"

The truth is I don't want you guys to die. I'm terrified. I don't want to lose them; my first real friends.

Pearl smiled at me once again.

"I know you do. Just please, please understand that this is a possible war. If we lose, we'll be killed." I put my things down and hugged her.

"I want to go with you guys, no matter how dangerous." She hugged me back. Afterwards, I quickly grabbed my things. Pearl opened the door for me and we made our way back inside. Rainbow turned to us, a smile formed on their face.

"Wonderful! You're back! Now we can go!" They stood up. Connie looked up at them.

"You really want to get back to homeworld, huh?" Rainbow shifted their attention to Connie, their smile not fading.

"Yes, I would much prefer to get there as quickly as possible! As quaint as this little planet is, I'd much prefer to get back." Amethyst shrugged.

"I don't see what's so great about Homeworld." She hopped off the counter. Rainbow looked at her, a bit of shock on their face. They said nothing, and they shifted their attention to me, a smile reappearing on their face.

"Have you packed all your essentials?" I nodded. Their smile didn't fade, as they began walking towards the door.

"Then let's go! Time is being wasted!" They quickly made their way to the door, opening it for every one. Bismuth stepped forward.

"Wait, so we're all just expected to go back to homeworld, and go back to another war just like that?" Peridot soon stepped up as well.

"Yeah! Why should we be expected to fight?" Lapis just peered around Bismuth, not saying a word. Rainbow slowly closed the door, looking at the three of them.

"I.. Well.." Garnet stepped forward, speaking over Rainbow.

"This is for your fellow gems! Innocent gems are being shattered, and it's up to us to help them." Bismuth, Lapis, and Peridot all seemed taken back. A look of sadness washed over their faces. Bismuth closed her eyes for a moment, and nodded, reopening her eyes.

"You're right! Who are we to deny the safety of other gems? This will be nothing like the gem war, because we have a huge advantage on our side. We got the Diamonds!" She turned to Peridot and Lapis, who both seemed hyped up. They nodded. Rainbow chimed in.

"Precisely! That, and we don't know if this will be a war at all! It may just be a small fight. Either way, you got this!" Everyone seemed hyped now.

Rainbow opened the door again, and everyone quickly made their way out. I decided to go last.

Once everyone was outside and down the stairs, I turned to Rainbow.

"Do you think they'll all be okay?" Their smile faded into a look of concern, but quickly reappeared.

"Of course, dear! They'll be just fine! They're the strongest gems homeworld has to offer!" I smiled at the fusion.

"And you?" Their smile faded again, only, it didn't resurface.

"My dear, my job is to protect you, and that is exactly what I'm going to do! You'll be just fine." I felt my lips curl downwards into a frown.

"How will you be though?" Rainbows eyes darted back and fourth, before finding their way back to mine. Their smile reappeared, although it had a softer look to it.

"I'm here to protect you, and bring the Crystal Gems back to homeworld. The Diamonds do not want me entering the war zone. I'll be fine, darling." I smiled, very relieved.

I would hate for a gem to get poofed, or worse, shattered because of me.

I walked through the open door, Rainbow following soon after. 

Once we reached the bottom of the stairs, Rainbow clapped their hands together.

"Alright everyone, onto the-" Steven's voice boomed over Rainbow's.

"I forgot to tell dad!" Rainbow lowered their arms, looking very unamused at this point. Steven turned to us.

"I'll be right back!" Connie spoke up.

"Wait, I'll come with you!" They both took off running off the beach.

We all stood there. Peridot spoke up.

"Well, since we're waiting for Steven, I suggest we all go grab some much needed supplies to fight off these other gems!" Bismuth smiled.

"Yeah, you're right! I can make some weapons for us!" Lapis, sounding very unenthusiastic spoke up.

"And I can gather some water, I guess." Pearl smiled.

"What a great idea! We'll all meet back here in twenty minutes! _______________, if Steven is back before us, please tell him where we are." I nodded, and they all took off into the temple. The warp pad could be heard from the beach.

Rainbow dramatically sat down, sand flying on each side of them. I sat down next to them.

"I'm sorry this is taking longer than you'd hoped." Rainbow turned to me and smiled.

"No need to apologize, I suppose it is rather necessary to prepare yourself for a battle, excluding you of course." I sighed, looking out at the water.

"Be honest with me." I felt Rainbows eyes land on me. They stayed silent, but I knew they were listening. I pulled my knees to my chest, resting my head on my legs.

"Do you think any of them will get shattered?" Everything around us became uncomfortably silent.

I felt Rainbow put an arm around me, and sigh.

"I can't give you a straight answer. However, with the Diamonds on their side, they are very well protected. With me on your side, you are also very well protected. We will all try our best to make sure all of you return home. I can promise you that."
______________________________________