six

TO MARISSA, THE WORLD seemed to freeze

TO MARISSA, THE WORLD seemed to freeze. Her hands went cold, her head felt light, her breathing became fast and rapid. Everyone knew the death of Addison Bradley was a difficult subject for Marissa. They tried to avoid any conversation that can potentially lead to the girl remembering her deceased mother.

Addison Bradley died so mysteriously, there were family members that were convinced it was the work of the devil.

It might as well have been.

She was in a daze, that much was obvious. Her friend's words sounded like they were trying to speak from under water, her vision was all blurry. Marissa is fairly certain someone was waving their hands in front of her face.

The room grew uncomfortably hot, Marissa moved to unbutton her maroon blazer, and when that wasn't enough, removed her grey sweater vest as well.

She felt as if the room was an active volcano, inpatient to erupt.

Slowly but surely, it all started to come to her. She could hear Patricia and Joy's worried pleads, she could even see a look of fear plastered on Jerome's face. She snapped out of it.

"I don't think I believe you," Marissa whispers, bringing her cool hand up to her burning forehead. Jerome rushed to the sinks in the room (Marissa noticed they were sitting in the dreaded chemistry classroom) and wet a paper towel with ice cold water, quickly running back to her and handing it over when he was done. Marissa smiled weakly in thanks.

"I know, love, trust me I know," Joy started, rubbing her friend's hand up and down soothingly. "We just don't want you getting involved with someone that knows too much."

"We don't want you to get hurt," Patricia added, moving to rub Marissa's back. Jerome stood there awkwardly, fidgeting with his fingers to the point where the three girls were itching to snap at him. Unfortunately, now wasn't the time.

How did Brandon know about my mom, Marissa thought. I don't remember telling him anything. "Is he a bad guy?" The girl cried, feeling tears prick at the back of her eyes.

Jerome's heart broke, seeing Marissa in a state like this; strong, witty, stubborn Marissa, falling to pieces in front of him. He almost had to look away for tears sprung to his eyes as well. He pushed himself to keep them down, now wasn't the time nor place.

"We don't know, Mar, but what we do know is you have to stay away from him as much as possible," Joy said, a sympathetic look on her face. "We're here to help, I promise."

"No," Marissa said defiantly, startling everyone with her sudden mood change. "I need to know how he knows, guys. I don't know how my mother died, but if he knows, then I have to, too." She said, sniffling slightly but the tears were dormant.

Patricia and Joy shared a look with Jerome.

"Then here's what we need you to do."

-

"Hey, Marissa, can I talk to you for a second."

Marissa smirked when she hears Brandon calling out for her. Patrica and Joy wink, sending a quick 'good luck' and walking off.

"Hey, Brandon, what's up?" She greets, turning around and giving the boy a big smile.

"Last time we were interrupted, but I was just wondering if you'd like to go out with me tomorrow night?" Brandon asks, practically giving the girl puppy dog eyes. Marissa put all her might into not rolling her eyes.

"I'm afraid she can't do that, mate," Jerome says, walking out of a classroom and making his way towards the two.

Brandon raises an eyebrow, "And why not?"

"Yeah, and why not?" Marissa asks in faux anger, trying her best to not burst out in laughter. You can tell Jerome was trying too, from the light dust of pink on his cheeks.

"Simply because I don't think it'll be right," Jerome says, bouncing on the balls of his feet semi-nervously. There are so many ways this conversation will end, but hopefully, if Marissa sticks to the plan, then everything will turn out perfectly and he could... never mind.

"What's wrong with Brandon and I going out?" Marissa demands, going a little off script because Brandon's mouth might as well have been glued shut.

"I just don't want you to go out with him," Jerome replied nonchalantly.

"And why's that?" The girl pushed, happy this whole - slightly embarrassing - conversation was almost finished.

"I just don't want the girl I hate to be happy," Jerome says as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Marissa's got to admit; that stung a little.

"Well, good thing the girl you hate doesn't care what you think, right?" Marissa says, glaring at Jerome for added effect. When they noticed Brandon "discretely" looking away from the two to see the crowd they formed, Jerome sent Marissa a thumbs up.

Good job, he mouthed.

Thanks, she replied.

"You know what, I would love to go out with you, Brandon." Marissa says, causing some people in the audience they formed to shout "ooh!"

The three of them rolled their eyes, but Brandon quickly fixes his composure, sending a sweet - and smug - smile in the girl's direction. "I'll text you tonight," he promises and runs off.

Once he turned the corner, Jerome and Marissa laughed like they've never laughed before. The crowd shared looks between each other, confused as to why the two were holding on to each other for support, much less getting along.

It's safe to say the entire school (and probably all of Britain) knew of the two's "relationship".

"Good work, Bradley," Jerome praises. "Never knew you had it in you."

Marissa blushes (what?) and gives a sheepish thanks, unable to look in his eyes.

Patricia and Joy run up from behind them, the latter jumping on Marissa's back. The girl stumbled a little but quickly gained back her footing. "It worked!" She cheered, hugging her friends back hard - Marissa almost choked.

"It did! Now, can I ask you two something?" Her friends nod. "Why are you guys doing this, it's almost as weird as the whole 'Sibuna' thing. Why are you helping me out?"

Patricia and Joy share a look. "There are two reasons," the former says. "One, we are your best friends and we don't want you getting involved with the wrong guy."

"Two," Joy adds, "we think you should be with Jerome, not Brandon."

The boy in question looked up, shocked. He's pretty sure his entire face is red. Thank the Lord no one seemed to notice.

"Shut up," Marissa mutters, pinching Joy's shin lightly.

"Anyways, it's just an added bonus that Brandon ended up being suspicious. Now we can have fun while trying to convince you where your love should lay." Patricia says, sending a cheeky smile in Jerome's direction.

She almost bursts out in laughter when she noticed how red his face has gotten. Jerome gave her a warning look while trying to get his face to calm the heck down. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

"This will be interesting, won't it?" Marissa says, turning her head so she can glance at Jerome, surprised to see him already looking at her.

"It sure will be."