seven

THE DAYS PASSED BY too quickly for Marissa's liking

THE DAYS PASSED BY too quickly for Marissa's liking. The girl has never hated Friday as much as she hated it today. According to the text Brandon sent her last night, he would be around to pick her up at 6. It was now 5:30, and Marissa is yet to get up from her bed.

"Come on, get up Bradley, it was time to get dressed an hour ago!" Joy exclaims as she walks into the bedroom to see her best friend doing absolutely nothing.

Marissa rolled onto her side to face Joy, and put her elbow up, placing her head it. "You know," she started, "for a girl that is deadset on me being with another guy, you sure are keen on me pleasing the one I'm going on a date with."

Joy rolls her eyes and walks over to the closet with the intention of finding something decent for her friend to wear.

"We need you to look nice so Brandon knows that you want to start a relationship with him. Do that and we are one step closer to figuring out if he knows what happened to your mother."

Marissa looks down to her bedspread, a feeling of uneasiness washing on her, "What if he doesn't know anything about what happened to my mother," she says, voicing her thoughts.

Joy stops looking through the rack for a moment, trying to find the right words to say, "Let's just hope he knows something," she says. "Now, let's get you all dolled up! This is my favourite part!" The overly excited girl squeals handing her friend a red spaghetti strap shirt and a pair of denim shorts.

Marissa looks down at the outfit, not upset that she has to go out and wear this. With one final breath, she gets off her bed and starts to get ready for a date she would much rather not be on.

-

"You know what you have to do, right?" Patricia asks worriedly when they hear a knock at the front door. Marissa nods anxiously, feeling her heart rate start to speed up. "Let's do this then."

Marissa goes to open the door when Patricia leaves for the kitchen. She takes a deep breath, trying to compose herself. You signed up for this. You're doing this for a reason. Get the answers. The girl spoke in her head, as a form of reassurance.

The door swings open, and there Brandon Samuels stood; dressed in black jeans and a blue button-up shirt. However, what surprised Marissa the most, was the single pink rose he held in his outstretched hand.

Marissa is ashamed to say she almost blushed.

She greets the boy with a shy smile and takes one step out of the house, then another, until she was outside completely. She took a huge breath and closed the door behind her, just missing the boy that wanted to say goodbye.