nine

THEY WERE ON TO him

THEY WERE ON TO him. Brandon doesn't know for how long or how much they knew, but Patricia and Joy knew something and they may have already told Marissa.

Brandon paces his bedroom nervously, biting his thumb nail despite how nasty of a habit it is. His chest felt tight, he gripped his hair so tight he was surprised no strands fell out. Butterflies formed in his stomach, and they weren't the good kind.

His dad was going to be furious. "You had one job," Brandon can imagine him saying. Which is true. He failed.

-

Marissa Bradley woke up happy. Like she has for the past few nights, on Cloud 9. She walked as if she were floating, she spoke as if nothing bad could ever result in any conversation ever, her eyes gleamed as if she were in love. Contain yourself, Marissa told herself. It's been one date.

Which is true; it's been three days since their night out at the diner, and Brandon hasn't even brought up anything that could potentially swerve into a conversation about a second date.

Marissa frowned at that thought, but quickly shook it out of her head to prevent the loss of her good mood. Of course Brandon was going to ask her on a second date, right?

The girl finished getting dressed for the day and skipped out of her bedroom, humming her way down the stairs. She bid a greeting to Victor (who gave her a strange look) and even smiled in Jerome's direction when she passed him in the halls (ignoring the eyebrow raise Alfie sent).

Lately, Jerome and Marissa haven't been arguing as much as they used too. They haven't been speaking at all, actually. The smile Marissa sent is the first sign of contact the two shared since the girl got back from her date with Brandon.

Flinching slightly at the thought of her past date and probably dead-end unofficial relationship, Marissa took her seat at the breakfast table, expecting to see Patricia and Joy sitting in the seats beside her. They weren't.

That's another odd thing that's been going on; the dynamic trio haven't been seen together in three days. Marissa didn't notice it as much as her housemates did, for she too stuck in the 'honeymoon phase' of a relationship that hasn't even been declared official yet.

The thought of Patricia and Joy being upset with her hasn't even crossed the girl's mind. In their five years of friendship, never have the three girls ever been in a rough patch (other than that one time they couldn't decide who would get to fake-date Stefan Salvatore).

Marissa didn't realize how naïve she actually was.

-