four

"Addy. Addy. Addy, it's time to wake up. We've gotta get going."

It was the first band rehearsal since Tim left, and already, Freddie was shaping up to be a superb replacement. And the bassist, a man named John, was also making his talents known. At least, that's what Adeline would have said if she hadn't fallen asleep during rehearsals each night. Just before the boys began to practice with Freddie, she'd started her student teaching at the nearby primary school, and she didn't last long most nights.

"Damn, did I pass out again?" she asked, rubbing her eyes. When she looked up, Roger was standing over her, one hand on her shoulder.

"Very much so. Brian was starting to think you were dead," he teased, smiling down at her

"Oh, really? Give him a kick for me, will you?" she mumbled, making him laugh.

"Or you can kick him yourself when you see him. Come on." He pulled his hand away from her shoulder, but she quickly grabbed his hand with both of hers.

"Carry me?" she asked, pouting slightly. She bat her eyelashes at him, and with a sigh, Roger hung his head.

"Oh, all right. But only because it'll guarantee you moving your ass," he said, smiling a bit when he felt her squeeze his hand. He bent down and hooked one arm under her legs, and the other around her back, hoisting her up into the air. She set her arms around his neck loosely, with her head against his shoulder.

"Comfy?" he teased, and when she hummed in response, he couldn't help the smile on his face. After making sure she was secure in his arms, he carried her out of the rehearsal area and out to the van, where Brian was waiting.

"Is she still sleeping?" he asked.

"No, she's not," Adeline mumbled, lifting her head to look at him.

"But you were sleeping the sleep of the dead, just saying," Roger reminded her, and she

rolled her eyes as he carried her to the back seat of the van.

"Not helping."

"Tell me I'm wrong."

He set her down in her seat and waited until she buckled in before shutting her door. He and Brian then got into the van, and when they glanced back at Adeline, neither of them were shocked to see that she was again fast asleep.

"I believe that's ten pounds to me," Brian said.

"Oh, shut up."

***

"Adeline!"

Adeline was in her assigned classroom, grading a few pages of homework for the teacher she was shadowing. When she looked up, another teacher from her hall was in the doorway.

"Oh, hello, Mrs. Mason. Is something wrong?" she asked, setting down her pen.

"Oh, no, nothing's wrong, dear. I was just wondering if you'd like to join me and a few others for drinks tonight," Mrs. Mason asked, smiling warmly.

"I'd love to, but I already have plans tonight. A van full of attractive men is coming to pick me up for a show," she said, and the older woman laughed.

"Honey, if you don't want to come along, that's all you have to say," she said, and Adeline looked back down at the papers on her table. Before she could say anything, there was a faint honking sound just outside the building, and a soft smile graced her lips.

"That would be my ride. Have a nice weekend, Mrs. Mason," she said, gathering her bag and the papers to grade at home. With a friendly smile, she got up and left the classroom, moving as quickly as she could in her boots. And she was well aware of the fact that Mrs. Mason was still following her. Parked in front of the school was Roger's van, with him in the driver's seat, Brian beside him, and John in the back with Freddie.