seventeen

1980

Roger trailed his fingers up and down Adeline's arm as she slept. His chest was pressed against her back, and he kept his head propped up with one hand. She looked so at peace beside him, hugging her pillow with one arm and holding a teddy bear he'd gotten her for their first married Valentine's Day. He looked down at the bear and smiled softly, letting his arm drape over her waist. It still felt surreal to him, calling Adeline his wife, living with her, and of course, talking about a family. The discussion had been ongoing for about a year, and they were both in agreement that a family would be nice, but the struggle was finding the right time. He'd just gotten back from another tour, this time for their album The Game, and seeing Adeline after so long made his heart swell. And the night before gave them another reason to celebrate: Adeline was officially a U.K citizen.

"There's no turning back now," she had said. And she was right. In the first year of their marriage, she'd only spoken to her parents one other time, telling them about her citizenship decisions, and according to her, they made it very clear that they no longer wanted to speak to her.

"It's their loss. If they can't see the amazing woman you're on your way to becoming, then that's on them," Roger had whispered as he rocked her gently. But from that point on, he'd noticed a change in her. Something in her seemed more determined than anything else, and that was the woman he loved.

"Mm," Adeline hummed, shuffling under the covers. She'd rolled onto her side so her chest was against his, and her head was nuzzled into the crook of his neck. Roger smiled and ran a hand over her hair, glancing down at her as she opened her eyes.

"Good morning, angel," he whispered, leaning down to kiss her forehead.

"Good morning, Rog," she mumbled, stretching her legs. "I've missed waking up next to you."

"Mhm, I've missed being by your side. Touring gets lonely when you're not there," he said as he played with the ends of her hair.

"I can believe it. I miss you so much when you're gone. My kids were starting to pick up on my moping around," she murmured, nuzzling his neck. Roger laughed and wrapped his arms around her, holding her close to his body. He kissed over her forehead while one of his hands trailed down her back and along her upper thigh.

"Cool it, Taylor," she said, glancing up at him. "I'm still not awake yet."

"What better way to wake up, then," he whispered as he traced his name along the bare skin of her thigh.

"You know, you make a good point." She reached up to cup his face with one hand, smiling as he grinned. "Now c'mere and make yourself useful."

***

Adeline was curled up on the couch, a book in one hand and a mug of tea in the other. She was dressed merely in clean panties, a clean bra, and one of Roger's shirts, and even though they both wanted kids some day, it was a sight Roger wasn't going to enjoy giving up.

"Hey, Addy?" he asked as he entered the room.

"Mm?" She looked up from her book and set the mug on a coaster that rested on the table.

"Fred gave me a call. He wants me to come over and see his new place. Mind if I go over there for a bit?" he asked, and she chuckled.

"Of course I don't mind. Go, have fun. Just be back in time for dinner, I'm going to attempt to make sushi," she said, propping her head up on the arm of the couch with a smile.

"Oh, I wouldn't miss it for the world. Especially when it comes to dessert," he said, taking his bottom lip between his teeth as his eyes raked over her figure. Adeline rolled her eyes and stood up from the couch, walking over to her husband so she could wrap her arms around his neck. Roger set his hands on her hips and gave them a squeeze, grinning down at her.

"You regret marrying me now?" he teased, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"Not in the slightest," she said, kissing his chin. "Make sure to give Freddie my love when you see him."

"Don't I always?" He leaned down to kiss her quickly. "I'll be back before you know it. Love you," he said, letting go of her.

"Love you, too, Rog."

***

"What do you think?"

Freddie turned around from his portrait of Marlene Dietrich, and Roger's eyes widened slightly. The usually clean shaven Freddie he'd known for so long was sporting a very Paul Prenter-ish mustache.

"Gayer," Roger said, blinking a bit.

"Not this, darling, the house." Freddie gestured around him as his voice bounced off of the walls. "Isn't it amazing?"

Roger stared in awe as he walked around the foyer. While he had to admit that his home with Adeline was large, Freddie's outdid their abode by a million.

"Mary's already moved in next door, so she can visit the cats and me," Freddie explained.

"Uh-huh," Roger muttered, still looking around the bottom floor.

"Each cat will have his own room. Delilah's by the kitchen, Miko's next door. Tiffany, Oscar, Romeo, all upstairs. Lily's room is even larger than this one! Spoilt thing." Freddie was practically giddy as Roger joined him in the empty kitchen.

"Well, I'm not sure the echo is quite pronounced enough," Roger said, glancing out of the window as Freddie chuckled.

"Eh-oh!" Freddie's voice rang through the house, making the two of them laugh together briefly.

"Oh, I knew you'd appreciate it," Freddie said as he took Roger by the shoulders. "Stay for dinner, anything you fancy."

"I can't. I promised Addy I'd be home for dinner tonight," Roger said, and for a moment, the thought of her cooking in what she was wearing when he left the house filled his mind.

"Of course," Freddie said, then looked to the empty dining room. "Well, come on. We'll eat off the floor. It's clean enough."

"Another time, Fred." Roger set his arms around Freddie in a tight hug, sighing quietly when he felt his friend return the hug. They pulled back, and Roger clapped him on the shoulder.

"She sends her love, by the way," he said, smiling a bit.

"She's such a dear. Give her my love as well when you get home. And let her know Romeo misses her," Freddie said, and Roger nodded.

"I'll be sure to, I promise. I'll see you soon, all right, Fred?"

"Of course. Safe drive home, darling."

***

When Roger entered the kitchen, a warm smile graced his lips. Adeline hadn't changed out of what he left her in, and she was sitting at the counter, her legs crossed and a glass of white wine in her hand.

"You know, you look almost as good as dinner does," he said, shrugging off his jacket. Adeline laughed and sipped her wine, and Roger could just make out a faint lipstick stain on the rim of the glass.

"Only almost? I'm hurt," she said, leaning up to kiss his cheek after he walked over to her.

"You know what I mean. Fred sends his love, and he wants you to know that Romeo misses you," he said, resting his hands on her shoulders.

"Mhm? I'll have to give him a call soon. How's his new place looking?"

"Empty. Large, but empty. I feel bad, though."

"Why?"

Roger sighed, "Fred asked me to stay for dinner. And I wanted to so he wasn't alone. But I promised you I'd be here."

Adeline reached up to run her fingers through his hair. He leaned into her touch, letting his eyes shut for a moment.

"If you had given me a call and let me know, you could've stayed with Freddie," she said softly, brushing her thumb over his cheek.

"Mhm. I'll keep that in mind for next time. Is it time to eat? I'm starving, and you looking like this doesn't help," he murmured, nuzzling her palm gently.

"Yep, everything's ready. I was just waiting for my Rog to come back home," she said, and he grinned.

"Your Rog is home. So let's eat now so I can eat you later."