nineteen

"I want a new boat."

"Are you serious?"

Adeline was cuddled close to Roger, holding up a magazine for the two of them to read. She had joined him, Brian, Cece, Deacy, and Veronica in the studio on a day off from work, and she was surprised to not see Freddie there.

"Wait, what about this one?" Roger wrapped one arm around her shoulders, using his free hand to point to the page.

"Absolutely not, mister. If you wanna have kids someday, we'd better start saving so they can go to college, or whatever you call it over here," Adeline said, flipping the page again.

"University, babe," he murmured, pressing a kiss to her hair. She chuckled and set her head on his shoulder, going to flip the page again when Brian stood up behind them.

"Everyone up on the drum risers!" he said, looking down at everyone. "Up on the drum risers."

"Come on!" Cece stood from the couch and walked over, motioning for the four left on the couches to follow her.

"Thank you, Cecelia." Brian kissed her gently. "Showing some enthusiasm."

"Wives and everyone?" Deacy asked, as Veronica point to herself and asked, "Me?"

"Yes! Come on, John. Everyone."

Adeline set the magazine down and stood, stretching her arms over her head as John and Veronica made their way over. She and Roger walked over, with Roger getting onto the risers before Adeline. He set his hands on her sides and gripped his tightly, hoisting her up onto the risers with a grin.

"What's this about?" Roger asked, wrapping one arm around his wife. Ever since Freddie's party, Roger had been very reluctant to let Adeline out of his sight when neither of them had work. So when he felt her arms around his middle, he rubbed her shoulder gently while looking down at his friend.

"You remember our last concert? The crowd were singing our songs back to us. I mean, it was deafening, but it was wonderful," he said, chuckling slightly. "They're becoming a part of our show. I want to encourage that, so I've got an idea to involve them a little bit more."

Adeline glanced up at Roger, and under her touch, she could feel the subtle shrug of his shoulders. He squeezed her gently before letting go, and with a sigh, she pulled her arms away from him.

"Let's start with this." Brian stamped his foot twice while the others looked at him. Adeline had her head tilted, and one of her eyebrows came up in an arch. She and Cece looked to each other, then back at Brian.

"Stamp to this beat," he said.

"Genius," Deacy said, his arms folded over his chest.

"Thank you, John." Brian smiled, unaware of the look Roger and Deacy had shared. Roger smiled as Deacy smirked, all while Adeline shook her head with a chuckle.

"Come on," Brian prompted, and finally, the others began to stamp to the same rhythm. Once the rhythm was established, and Adeline had a hard time containing her giggles, Brian nodded and moved his hand.

"Now I want you to clap on the third beat." He stamped his foot twice more, then clapped right after. The group on the risers followed his instructions, and soon, the room was filled with the beat. Adeline and Cece looked at each other and laughed, shaking their heads as they clapped.

"Don't speed up," Roger called, and Adeline laughed more.

"Rog, keep that time," Brian said, and he made his way to the piano near the risers.

"I told you he has good ideas," Cece said, looking at her friend.

"They've been known to happen," Adeline agreed, and they laughed together, filling Adeline with the warmth she'd been missing the past few weeks.