twenty seven

The morning of July thirteenth arrived much faster than Adeline could have ever imagined. Freddie had arranged to have her picked up that morning, as the concert itself began midday, so by nine in the morning, she was washed and dressed.

"Don't you look stunning?" Abigail hummed, leaning against the door frame with her arms folded over her chest.

"Is the dress too much? Should I change?" Adeline smoothed the fabric down, biting her bottom lip.

"Not at all. You look great."

"You're such an enabler."

The two women laughed, and when the doorbell rang, Abigail smiled warmly at her cousin. Without a word, she walked over and wrapped her arms around her in a tight hug, holding her close. Adeline hugged back, smiling a bit as she rested her chin on her shoulder.

"You go have fun, okay? You've earned it," Abigail whispered when she pulled back.

"I will. And if all goes well, I won't be sleeping in your guest room tonight," Adeline chuckled.

"You weren't a bad roommate, but you do need to get back home," she agreed, giving her shoulder a squeeze before opening the front door. A smartly dressed man stood on the other side, a smile on his face.

"Hello, you must be here to pick up Adeline, yes?" Abigail asked.

"That would be correct. We'd best get going so we don't hit too much traffic," he said, nodding his head towards Adeline. She offered him a smile and stepped out to meet him, waving goodbye to her cousin as she shut the door. She went down the walkway and before she got into the car, she let out a laugh. Mary and David were in the backseat, and she joined them quickly.

"Mary!" She hugged her gently, then reached to shake hands with her husband.

"Oh, it's so good to see you again, Addy!" Mary said, shuffling a bit so Adeline could buckle her seatbelt. Once the driver got in, Adeline looked out at her cousin's house, smiling to herself when the car began to move, and the scenery whizzed by.

***

Roger sat with the others in their trailer, tapping his fingers against his thighs. Beside him, John was drinking a cup of tea, and Brian was strumming his guitar. Freddie was to his right, and he'd brought another man with him, Jim Hutton. And when they was a knock on the trailer door, Roger sat up straight, his heart pounding against his ribs.

"Rog, calm down. She said she couldn't make it, remember?" Brian asked softly as Jim opened the door.

"Hello, Mary!" Brian said, smiling at her.

"Hi, Brian!" she greeted. "We just came to wish you good luck."

"Hello, my love." Freddie got up from his seat and greet Mary, giving her a kiss on each cheek. He then turned to Jim, resting a hand on his shoulder with a smile.

"Mary, David," he said, "this is Jim. Jim, Mary and David."

"It's nice to meet you," Jim said as he shook their hands respectively.

"I'll see you after," Freddie said, returning Mary's smile before looking back at Jim. "I don't think you're gonna be able to see anything from here. Join them."

Jim smiled before climbing out of the trailer, and Freddie looked out briefly before closing the door behind him. Jim caught up with Mary and David, and he noticed another woman with them, in a nice red dress.

"Oh! Come to join us?" Mary asked.

"Mhm, I have," he chuckled.

"Lovely. This is Adeline, by the way," Mary said, ushering the other woman forward. She held out her hand to him, and he shook it gently.