Welcome to Knockville

"How am I supposed to carry all these boxes?" Sal mumbled aloud, sinking even deeper into the seat of the small red car. "Well, most of them are mine, so you only need to carry those four in. The ones with a blue stripe on the side." Sal turned, acknowledging the four worn boxes. Sal really hadn't brought very much, at his father's request. "We're leaving the incident behind us, so we need to leave New Jersey behind us too." He had explained. At the time, Sal had just rolled his eyes and went back to packing, but now he realized he probably just wanted to cut down on moving expenses. 

Knockville was old. It looked fragile, as if it could break if you looked at it the wrong way. The trees looked ghastly, the school looked structurally unsound, and the apartments- oh, the apartments. 

Addison Apartments looked like something out of a horror movie. An ugly stained brick all around the building,  filthy windows, and claw marks on the front door that came from something that couldn't have been human. Sal wouldn't have been surprised to have seen a ghost right then and there.

Sal walked into the building and up a few flights of stairs to the new apartment. The inside was just as bad as he'd expected. He walked around, greeting the neighbors, until he decided to talk to the janitor.

"Hello," Sal whispered, lifting his head. "The name's Sal. We just moved here." Sal extended a hand. The janitor looked up from the puddle she had been mopping up previously. "Hi! I'm Lisa, the janitor here at Addison Apartments. It's a pleasure to meet you." Lisa offered her wet hand, before realizing her mistake and wiping the substance onto her uniform. Sal was most definitely smiling beneath the prosthetic. 

Sal wiped the expression from his face. "I was wondering if you knew of anything I could do around here." 

Sal doubted there was. After all, this was just a boring little town with some boring little apartments.

"You know what?" Lisa said, nodding to herself, "I have a son I think you would like. His name's Larry." Lisa met Sal's eyes. "Here, take this key card and go to the basement. He'll be in his room." Lisa handed Sal a key card, which he took. Sal went down to the elevators and used the key card to access the basement.

Sal went down to the basement and looked around. He found a door labeled "Larry's Room", and on the other side was Larry, in the middle of a phone call.

"Have you heard the new Sanity Falls song yet? I know you'll love it-" Sal knocked on the door, interrupting the conversation.

Sal heard footsteps approaching the door. "Who is it?" A male's voice asked. "It's the new neighbor. Your mom wanted me to talk to you." Sal replied. "One second, Travis."

Larry opened the door, revealing a brown-haired boy with a crescent mole on his right cheek. 

Sal felt an odd feeling in his chest.

"Hey, man. Welcome to Knockville.