CHAPTER SIX

The warm smell of vanilla enshrouds my senses as I awaken. I sit up, only to leap out of my bed without even bothering to clear my eyes. 

"So what if I look like a troll in my pajamas?" I grumble to myself. "It smells so delicious!"

I'm far too groggy to wonder when the hell it was that I got into pajamas, and far too ensorcelled by this bewitching scent to care. 

It leads me through the hall and into the kitchen, where Jin rests lazily at the bar, crossword puzzle spread out before him. He hasn't noticed my presence yet, and I chuckle, amused by the scene before me.

"This what you do in your free time?" I inquire softly, startling the poor man and nearly knocking him from his seat.

"Jeez," he complains. "Why is everyone so eager to give me a heart attack?"

He clutches his chest, breathing labored as he glares at me.

"First Hoseok comes running through here screaming for me, with you in his arms no less, screaming about how you passed out, " he stops for a second, shuddering violently before resuming. "You should have seen the swelling Avelyn. I certainly can't un-see it now, I'm nearly afraid to sleep. I just know that I'm gonna have a nightmare."

I grin sheepishly at his theatrics. No matter how much he grouses I know Jin cares, he delivered the epi-pen after all.

"Is that why you're up so late?" I ask, sliding onto the stool beside him.

"It's not that late, " he tells me. "Actually, it's more the case of being early."

He points to the clock, softly tick-tocking just above the dining room table and I see that he's right. It's five in the morning.

"I must have slept for an entire day, " I realize.

"So what's baking?" I ask, unable to curb my curiosity any longer.

"Oh, " he quips. "Sugar cookies. I thought it'd be a nice treat for tomorrow's picnic."

I peer at him with confusion written clearly upon my face. Why bake cookies more than twenty-four hours in advance?

He notices my confusion, and his blank face suddenly dawns with understanding.

"Today I mean, " he corrects, eyes wide and cheeks slightly pink.

"Think you can leave some behind for me?" I inquire hopefully.

"What do you mean?" He replies. "You're coming with us!"

I groan, all hopes of just sleeping the entire weekend away dashed in less than a moment.

"You're a cruel man Seokjin, you know that right?"

He chuckles, smiling at me with that endearing grin of his.

"You know you love me, " he retorts. Then, softening for a moment, he adds, "You know I only meddle so because I care about you too."

I sigh.

"We're having this conversation now?" I grouse silently.

"Don't look at me like that, " Jin commands. "If you have something on your mind, say it Avelyn. Or do you still not trust us?"

"Fine, " I snap.

Jin simply waits with patient, understanding eyes and I rub my temples which are now suddenly throbbing.

"I'm sorry, " I say, "for snapping like that. It wasn't okay. But I do wish you and Jimin would stop trying to meddle in my personal affairs."

"You're talking about the matchmaking, right?" He asks, smiling gently.

I nod my head.

"It isn't that I don't appreciate the fact that you guys care, but it just isn't for me. This isn't what I need right now."

He regards me with curiosity for a moment.

"Why?" He asks.

I tilt my head, looking at him as if he himself had grown another head.

"Why are you so dead set against it, and against Hoseok? He's a good kid, you know? If not for him you wouldn't have gotten your epi-pen in time." He states. "And if romance is so far out of the question can't you at least be friendly to the guy? Who knows? The two of you could make great friends!"

I fix him with my side eye, but ultimately realize that I have no real choice. I can't explain the reasons why to Jin, I don't think I could ever be ready for that. So I'm left with only one other path.

"I'll try to be less prickly, " I grumble, cheeks turning scarlett when Jin pats me on the head approvingly.

"That's my girl, " he says proudly. "You know I'm proud of you, right?"

I smile softly as he wraps his arms around me in an encouraging hug.

"Hey! What's cooking?"

We release each other and turn around to find Hoseok smiling cheerfully at us. I take one good look at his neatly combed hair and sparkling aura and groan.

"You're one of those people aren't you?" I whine. "You're a morning person."

He smiles, pearly whites on full display. It is a sight far too stunning to be flashing at everyone at five in the morning, I almost want to sue. What right does any human being have to be so decent at such an hour?

"Guilty as charged, " he chuckles.

"Actually, " Jin speaks up. "We were just talking about you!"

I didn't think it possible, but Hoseok actually smiles even more brightly than before. I groan, burying my face in my arms upon the bar's surface.

"Can we not?" I mumble into my arms.

Unfortunately, this means that the sound is muffled and Jin simply ignores me.

"All good things of course, " Jin continues. "Avelyn was just agreeing to be a little friendlier too, so I was thinking. Today, the two of you are going to be picnic buddies."

I snap my head up, irritation painted clearly upon my face. Meanwhile, Hoseok is chuckling softly, clearly too amused by the situation to hold himself together entirely.

"Don't you think we're a little too old for the buddy system Jin?" I argue.

"And if someone hadn't been with you yesterday morning?" He replies, grinning in self satisfaction. "I rest my case."