CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

~AVELYN~

I sigh, settling into my seat in relief. We'd had to run in order to make it on time, but we'd managed. Lord knows my feet are aching, no matter how completely unaffected Hoseok seems.

I swear, the man has stamina.

He turns to face me, and grabs my hand just as the lights dim. Before us, the previews begin to play and I find myself grateful that we chose to sit in the back. It was a pain in the ass getting up here, but worth it.

"You okay?" He inquires gently.

I rub the back of his hand with my thumb, smiling softly as I reply.

"I'll be alright."

A relieved smile spreads itself across his face, and I chuckle softly.

"Can we just try to not have to do that ever again though?" I tease, referring to the mad dash we'd had to make in order to arrive on time.

"Absolutely, " he vows, "I won't be late next time, I promise."

He looks so serious, all of a sudden. Though mostly teasing, he seems to have taken my words to heart.

"He really seems to feel bad about it, " I muse. "Almost as if he expects me to be angry."

"You know, " I say, "life happens, and I get it. You can't always be on time for everything. At some point in your life, no matter how punctual you might normally be, situations will occur that you have no control over."

He fidgets awkwardly in his seat, adjusting his shirt.

"I'm not mad, " I reveal sincerely. "Just curious. It really isn't like you to be late, so I know something must have come up. What happened?"

There's a suspicious amount of unease in the air as Hoseok stills, and as I realize that he doesn't want to tell me about it. I tamp down the pang of hurt that flashes within, remembering how Jeremy had often done the exact same thing.

My experiences tell me to proceed cautiously, not wishing to re-live the same painful memories. But my heart doesn't want to be content with that, and I find myself growing irritated by the situation at hand.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you look today?"

"Hoseok..." I growl in warning.

He smiles, somewhat apologetic, and sighs exasperatedly.

"I didn't want to mention anything, because I didn't want you to worry without reason, " he pauses, licking his lips anxiously, and then continues, "it's not even a big deal."

"My ex came knocking on my door as I was leaving to come and get you, " he confesses, finally. "I told her that I was taken, but she tried to man-handle me."

I can feel the muscles in my face as I frown, displeased with the idea of another woman buzzing around what's mine. Every thing in me is currently hyper aware of the mistakes of the past, and I can't help but to draw parallels.

"I swear to you, " Hoseok pleads, begging me to believe him, "there is nothing between us, and never would be ever again. Even if I didn't have you."

"What did she want?" My voice is strained, and a lot more clipped than I intended.

"To be honest, I didn't even bother to hear her out, so I really don't know. I have my assumptions, of course, but that's hardly fact."

He looks into my eyes earnestly, and I sigh.

I open my mouth to speak just as the previews end, and the movie begins. I bite my tongue, holding back from saying what I want to for the sake of not ruining the date. Hoseok, too, goes silent, though he continues to squeeze my hand steadily.

Now he is the one that rubs the back of my hand with his thumb, almost as if trying to soothe me. Though I want to be upset, and my head is screaming for me to withdraw, I can't stay mad at Hoseok. And there's a part of me, this tiny but especially loud part of me, that wants to believe Hoseok would never do the things to me that Jeremy did.

Maybe he's telling the truth.

"I don't share Hoseok, " I assert suddenly, feeling twice as prickly as I ever was before. "I'll let it go this once, but if I find out there's any one else but me, we will be less than a memory. I will cut you completely from my life."

He holds my hand to his lips, pressing a gentle kiss there, before smiling reassuringly.

"I promise, " he vows, "that I will never hurt you like that."

He looks at me with the gaze of a man who is completely serious, and thoroughly sincere. At this moment, as I gaze upon his face, I can find no traces of deceit.

"I'm gonna hold you to that, " I whisper, suddenly conscientious of the amount of noise we are making as people from the front attempt to throw popcorn in our direction.

"Quiet!" One woman yells.

A multitude of murmurs ripple through the audience and I chuckle softly, holding my hand to my mouth in an attempt to stifle it.

I turn to Hoseok once my laughter has died down, and my breath is simply stolen, spirited away by the look in his eyes.

I think I finally understand what draws me so to Hoseok.

He looks at me as if I am precious, and his smiles are always dripping with honey-sweet affection. This one is no different in that regard. I feel treasured when I'm with Hoseok, plain and simple.

But then, something in his gaze darkens, and he mutters lowly "come here."

He pulls my arm, forcing me to stand only to directly deposit me upon his lap. I smack his chest frantically.

"Hoseok!" I whisper-yell. "Not here!"

"Relax, " he whispers against the skin of my throat. "There's no one in our row, and the four rows in front of us are empty as well."

"That's besides the point!" I attempt to get up, but Hoseok holds me firmly in place. "This isn't the time or-!"

He cuts me off, lips slamming into mine and shutting off all protest.

A/N:

So, I'm thinking there may be smut in the next chapter, but I'm curious to know whether you guys think it's too soon...

I feel like it might be, but at the same time, it also feels natural at this point.

I don't know, but it'll probably have smut.

Maybe.

At any rate, I hope you guys are enjoying the story, and keeping yourselves well taken care of.

Sending all the huggles,
Nim