CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

I groan, bladder absolutely aching and near fit to burst. My head pounds, throbbing dully against my skull, and my breathing is uneven, ragged.

This is what wakes me.

I awake to realize that I am sprawled out in someone else's bed, and my searching hands find a lump of solid flesh in the bed beside me. I smile, remembering last nights events, and immediately recognize my surroundings.

Hoseok moves beside me, arms wrapping around me and pulling me closer. As my head rests upon his chest, he speaks.

"You okay?" He asks groggily. "Did you sleep well? You kind of passed out on me."

"Sorry, " I murmur, too busy appreciating his warmth to truly feel any remorse.

I don't know why it's so cold in here.

He turns on his side, dislodging from me entirely in order to actually look at me, face to face.

"That happen often?" He inquires, now awake and alert.

I shake my head. "No, it doesn't. I must have been majorly exhausted."

He tuts softly, "you might have been dehydrated. I'll go get you some water."

He rises from the bed, and retrieves a glass from the cupboards. He fills it quickly with water from the tap, but only after flicking a small button on the faucet to turn on what I presume to be a filter.

Crossing the small room quickly, he hands me the glass and then bends down to kiss my forehead.

"You seem a little feverish, " he worries aloud. "Maybe you should call in."

I huff in agreement. Though I would normally refuse, right now I feel so lethargic I can barely lift my head.

"Where's your phone?" He asks.

"Purse, " I reply softly, my voice barely a whisper of a wisp. I feel that if I have to speak too much more I might vomit, uneasiness churns in my gut.

He retrieves it, and then hands it to me.

I scan through my contacts, though it takes me a minute to locate my troupe leaders info. I shoot her a quick text, letting her know that I am sick and will not make it today.

Hoseok then takes my phone and places it beside the bed before tucking me in gently.

"I'm gonna go to the store real quick to grab some Tylenol, " he says, leaning over to stroke my hair lovingly. "I'm worried about your fever. I'll be right back though, okay?"

"Be safe, " I whimper, and he smiles beatifically in return.

"Don't worry about me, " he answers, "I'll be back before you wake up if you go back to sleep!"

As I close my eyes I can hear the sound of the front door, opening, and then closing. I hear the lock turn, and, secure in the knowledge that the door is locked, I pass back out.

By the time I come around once more, Hoseok has indeed returned, though he has yet to enter the building. I can hear him arguing heatedly with someone on the other side of the door, and realize he must be quarreling with someone on his doorstep.

I can't make out the words, but I can hear another masculine voice, one that doesn't belong to any of my boys, including Hoseok.

Sitting up, I rub my eyes groggily. I've barely even managed to open my eyes fully before Hoseok is scrambling through his front door, still bickering with whoever is on the other side.

That person tries to say something, but Hoseok cuts him off, slamming the door in his face. He glances over to the bed, noticing that I am awake, and starts.

"Did I wake you?" He asks softly, concern etched into his face.

I shake my head. "You didn't, " I reply. "But who were you arguing with?"

"Ahh, " Hoseok sighs, "someone that I once thought of as a friend. But nevermind that."

He places a few grocery bags on the counter, and, after a flurry of activity, he hands me a glass of ginger ale and a couple of Tylenol.

"Take this, " he commands gently.

My hands tremble, but I manage to get the tiny pills into my mouth.

"Are you hungry just yet?" Hoseok continues to put away, one by one, all of the items that he bought.

"Not right now, " I groan, melting back into the covers and laying on my side.

I hold my arms out, hoping that Hoseok will take the hint and join me in bed. He smiles, eyeing my gesture affectionately.

He climbs back into bed, wrapping his arms around me snuggly. As he lays upon his back, propping his head up with a pillow, I snuggle my face into his chest. For reasons that I'd almost rather not question, this is a huge comfort for me.

I can hear his heart beating beneath his ribs, can feel it pulse against his very flesh. It reminds me to breath, distracts me from my own rapid heartbeat. And his smell, that same citrus scent I'd initially noticed, clings to his body and clothes.

He's so warm.

Though I'd initially expect him to be constantly freezing, Hoseok seems to expell heat on a massive degree.

"He's like a space heater, " I think to myself.

"Hey, " I whisper, still unable to maintain but the barest scratch of an utterance. "Can I ask you something?"

He hums gently, questioningly, the thrum of it vibrating within my ears.

"Why do you like me?"

"I don't know that I can fully explain it, " he replies softly. "I just felt like we'd connect, if given half the chance."

"Do you think we jumped the gun?"

"No, " Hoseok says, smiling softly. "I think we're going to be just fine."

"I want to trust you, " I admit quietly. "I want to know more about you."

"And I don't want to rush you, " he counters, voice suddenly serious. "I want you to know that. I don't know what happened, but I know a closed heart when I see one."

He withdraws from our shared embrace, sitting up and looking at me somberly. I smile, touched by his concern, his genuine care.

"We can take things at your pace, " he vows. "I can be patient."

I pat the bed beside me, indicating that he should rejoin me.