E/A Con (part 1)

Derek walked stiffly behind Stiles as they approached the large brick building they'd just arrived at. Stiles, who had recently come into his Emissary powers, had insisted he attend the annual E/A Con, aka, Emissary Alpha Convention. Deaton had told Stiles of the conventions prior to Stiles becoming an Emissary. Deaton had raved about meeting Talia, Derek's mother, at one years ago. It was unsafe for Stiles to be an Emissary without an Alpha. They were easy targets and coveted among those without an Emissary.

The spark had been excited to go but Scott had been nervous for him to go alone. Deaton couldn't attend as he was no longer an actively practicing Emissary. Scott wasn't an alpha, so he'd asked Derek to go with Stiles, just to make sure he didn't get hurt.

Derek hated the idea. He didn't want Stiles to go at all. He'd tried to talk Stiles out of going but the Emissary only reminded Derek of how dangerous it was for him to not have a pack. Derek had almost asked Stiles to be his Emissary, but he'd chickened out.

Derek liked Stiles, he was smart and logical, which the alpha appreciated. He was loyal even in the beginning when they'd barely known Derek. Stiles had helped Derek without hesitation several times, even though he complained about it and joked about leaving Derek for dead, he never did.

It had been about a year and a half since Stiles had come into Derek's life and he couldn't imagine life without him. He wasn't sure he could classify them as friends but there was definitely a mutual respect between them that Derek didn't share with the other members of the pack.

When he'd found out that Stiles was an Emissary Derek had been upset at first. He knew the dangers of being an Emissary without an alpha. Derek quickly remembered that he was an alpha without an Emissary. He'd imagined Stiles being his Emissary and the thought was comforting for him, knowing that Stiles would always have his back. Approaching Stiles with the proposition had proven more difficult than he thought. Stiles wasn't the most trusting type and Derek wasn't exactly an open person. The bond between an Emissary and alpha was a strong one that required open communication and trust, something neither Derek nor Stiles were very good at.

"Hey, you alright?" Stiles nudged Derek's side gently.

"You know how I feel about these things," Derek growled out as they stepped inside the cool building and out of the heat of California.

"You never told me why," Stiles pointed out.

"Multiple alpha's in one place at a time is asking for trouble. Especially when there are peace treaties and Emissary bondings," Derek's eyes scanned the lobby as he spoke.

"You didn't have to come," Stiles reminded him.

"Scott asked me to, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with you coming alone anyway," Derek frowned at Stiles.

"Aww were you worried about me, big guy?" Stiles teased.

Derek narrowed his eyes at Stiles but didn't respond.

The human didn't seem to notice as his attention was drawn towards a table with a large sign that read, sign in.

"Hey, do I have to sign in?" Stiles asked approaching the table.

"Yes, are you an Emissary or alpha?" The lady asked with a smile.

"He's an Emissary," The guy next to her answered pushing a clipboard towards Stiles.

"Some of us don't have the nose of a werewolf," The girl rolled her eyes teasingly as she held out a pen.

"First year?" The guy asked as Stiles signed his name.

"Yeah," Stiles nodded excitedly.

"You'll have to check out the herbology classes. They do some of the coolest experiments." The girl gushed, taking the clipboard from Stiles.

"What time is the Emissary alpha meetup?" Derek asked now standing next to Stiles.

"The lounge room opens at eight," The guy answered holding out a clipboard for the alpha sign up.

Derek begrudgingly signed his name.

"Come on Derek, we have to do more than just the meetup," Stiles whined as they walked away from the table and towards two large double doors.

"Are you really going to agree to be some random Alpha's Emissary?" Derek asked the question that had been bothering him all day.

"I don't know. It depends," Stiles shrugged, his shoulders slumping forward a bit.

"You just aren't very trusting," Derek shrugged. He wanted to sway Stiles away from picking an alpha, but he was trying to be subtle about it.

"Deaton made it clear that being an Emissary without an alpha was dangerous. Scott and I talked about it for a while and he insisted I find a pack that needed someone like me," Stiles shrugged again. He seemed less enthused about finding an alpha than he had previously.

Derek opened his mouth to offer to be Stiles' alpha but the words were lost in his throat and he remained silent. Following quietly behind Stiles as he stopped at a nearby booth about wound healing.

Derek would just have to live with Stiles' decision, no matter how much he disagreed with it.

*AN*
Not sure if I like this or not, so we'll see if I change it.