I wasn't ready

*AN*
Human AU

Stiles stepped into the loud room where the dancing had already begun. He scanned the room for Scott but didn't see his best friend.

"Stiles," Heather's voice jerked his head towards the left to see his old friend.

"Heather, hey," He flashed a wide smile at her as she pulled him into a tight hug.

"It's so good to see you. I didn't know you were coming," Heather beamed at him before allowing her eyes to rake over him.

He swallowed remembering their last night together. It was her eighteenth birthday and they had found out she was moving. They spent the night in the wine cellar.

"Flight got delayed. How have you been? How's New York treating you?"

She gave a non-committal shrug, "School sucks but it's almost over." Her smile was still as radiant as it had been in high school.

"It's good to see you," Stiles nodded. "You haven't seen Scott, have you?"

"Let's go fine him, I could use a drink." She leaned forward, "And better company," She glanced at her table where there were several people Stiles didn't know and a few whose names he couldn't remember.

Heather slid her arm into Stiles' as she led him through the room. He only knew about half of the people at the reception but that was to be expected, it was Lydia's wedding after all, she knew everyone.

"Stiles, you made it," Lydia pulled from a group of people, her mermaid style dress restricting her movement only slightly as she slipped by them.

"Sorry I'm late, flight got held up. You look beautiful," Stiles hugged the red head before glancing past her to her new husband.

"Jason looks amazing too," Stiles couldn't help but let his eyes scan the guy briefly.

"I know, doesn't he?" Lydia gushed. "So umm there's something I wanted to talk to you about really quick-"

Before she could finish though, the DJ came over the speakers to announce that it was time for the couples first dance.

"Shit," Lydia tossed Stiles a sympathetic glance before hurrying back towards Jason.

"Aren't they so cute together?" Heather sighed.

Stiles only nodded. He remembered a time when he had been crazy about the red head. That had been a long time ago. He was happy for her. Truly.

"I'm gonna get a drink," Stiles pulled from Heather's grasp quickly and made his way towards the back of the room where he'd seen the punch bowls.

He slipped through the crowd the best he could but he still managed to knock into someone, despite how careful he tried to be.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, I-" The words fell silent when he saw who he had knocked into.

The soft sage of Derek's eyes were wide with shock. "Stiles." Derek was the first to break, saying the other's name like a breath.

Stiles instantly tensed. "I didn't know you'd be here."

Seeing Derek hadn't even occurred to Stiles. He and Lydia hadn't even been friends. Did Derek know Jason? That didn't seem likely.

"What are you doing here?"

"Lydia asked me to come," Derek answered simply.

Stiles' eyes narrowed slightly. "Why would she do that."

"You're the one who left," Derek's tone was sharp. Accusing.

Stiles' jaw clenched before instantly relaxing. "Can't even have one conversation without starting something can you?" A smirk played on Stiles' lips.