As the seconds tick by

The loud bustling of Stiles' friends and family in the other room couldn't overpower the ticking of the clock on his kitchen wall as he watched the secondhand tick by slowly. Over an hour late. Derek was over an hour late to his birthday party. Stiles had been planning this for months. Everyone was here, except Derek. Stiles would have been concerned if it wasn't for the brief and vague text he received from his husband stating he might be a bit late.

A bit late his ass. A bit late was fifteen or twenty minutes. Not an hour and nine minutes and twenty-one...two...three...Stiles drug his eyes away from the clock.

"Hey, what's the birthday boy doing sulking in the kitchen?" A voice asked, forcing Stiles' eyes up from where his hands were clasping an empty solo cup.

Stiles forced a smile as he saw Peter approach the table. "Just came to get another drink and..." he trailed off. He never could lie to Peter. He'd always been able to see right through him. The cocked brow told him he wasn't believing him now.

"I'm sure he didn't mean to be this late," Peter pulled out the chair opposite Stiles and took a seat.

"I don't understand why he's late at all," Stiles glanced back at the clock. One hour, ten minutes and thirteen...fourteen...fifteen.

"You know he just got that new contract. It's a big job," Peter offered.

"So he couldn't take one night off?" Stiles huffed, his eyes back on the empty cup in his hands.

Peter nodded, Stiles had him there. "Have you called him?"

Stiles shook his head as he glanced at his phone that sat silently next to him. "I figured if he had an update, he'd let me know."

"Maybe call him, let him know he's missed," Peter gave Stiles' shoulder a comforting squeeze before standing.

Just as he stepped away the door to the kitchen opened.

Stiles looked over to see Derek, with his phone pressed to his ear and him shuffling through a file, his briefcase tucked under one arm.

"I know that's the blueprint he likes best, but I'm telling you structurally that's not the smartest choice. Tell him to give me a few days and I'll give him something that works, that he likes..."

Stiles frowned. Derek was still working.

"I know that. I know that too. Look can we talk about this first thing in the morning, I just walked in my door and I have a house full of people." Derek huffed out in annoyance as he dropped the file on the counter.

Stiles watched as Derek tossed his phone down along with his briefcase and ran two hands through his hair in frustration. He didn't say a word.

When they finally locked eyes Derek's whole posture shifted, "Stiles," he sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Over an hour, Derek," Stiles responded simply. But Derek knew his husband well enough to know that he'd screwed up.

"I know, I didn't mean to be that late, I would have called but I was stuck on the phone and..." He didn't even bother to continue trying to defend himself when he saw the irritation on Stiles' face wasn't budging.

"It won't happen again, I promise," Derek stepped forward and leaned in for a kiss. Stiles turned his head slightly so that Derek was forced to only kiss his cheek.

Derek bowed his head in defeat. He clearly wasn't going to be so easily forgiven.

"Be honest with me, Derek, did you forget?" Stiles crossed his arms over his chest.

Derek frowned, "No, of course not, your gift is upstairs. I would never," he looked insulted.

Stiles nodded, feeling a little guilty for assuming Derek had forgotten his birthday. "Okay, don't let it happen again. Come on, everyone's waiting." He pulled Derek after him into the living room where their friends and family where indeed waiting.