Raven(part 1)

Stiles knew that ravens had a habit of following wolves. They worked together to find food. When the wolf hunted, the ravens would pick at the leftovers. When the ravens were circling in the sky, there was a chance food was nearby and the wolves would investigate. It was an unlikely friendship, if you could even call it that but it worked. However, this Raven woman in Derek's life was a little too friendly for Stiles' liking. She came out of nowhere and pretended to be an ally. Their mothers were friends or something. Stiles didn't like it. Derek, however, fell for it hook line and sinker. Stiles couldn't blame him, he missed his family and whenever someone mentioned his mother in a positive way, he was inclined to trust them.

Stiles on the other hand, was much less trusting. Derek had been through hell and he didn't deserve anymore bad things to happen, so Stiles had tried to tell Derek to be cautious. But Derek wasn't interested in Stiles' concern, so he was taking matters into his own hands.

He was currently scrolling through his laptop when there was a knock on his door.

"Yeah?" Stiles called out, not bothering to look away from his laptop screen.

"What are you doing?" Derek's tone asked harshly.

Stiles turned with a frown, "I'm researching. What are you doing?"

"You're twenty minutes late to a pack meeting," Derek growled, his arms crossed over his chest like a disappointed parent.

"What?" Stiles looked at the time at the bottom of his laptop screen. "I totally forgot," Stiles smacked a hand over his face.

"What are you researching that is so important? Did you forget there is someone killing werewolves by the pack?" Derek snapped, leaning over Stiles' shoulder to see he had overridden the FBI database and was looking up Raven.

"What the hell, Stiles?" Derek snapped again. "I told you to let it go."

Stiles let out a heavy sigh, "You know I can't do that, Derek."

"Yes, you can, and you will. I'm the alpha. I say who can and can't be trusted and I say Raven can be trusted," Derek tone was low, and the irritation was evident on his face.

"I'm sorry but I don't," Stiles shrugged, unfazed by Derek's authoritative stance.

That was the one thing Derek had always appreciated about Stiles, the way he stood up to him, the way he refused to back down on things he was sure of.

"Do you trust me?" Derek's tone softened.

Stiles sighed. He knew what Derek was doing.

"Of course I trust you, Derek."

"Then trust me when I say Raven is not a threat," Derek's arms fell to his sides, his jaw unclenching.

"You only trust her cause she claims to know your mother," Stiles pointed out gently.

Derek's posture immediately tensed once again, "Stiles, drop it."

"Derek, listen to me, I know you want her to be a friend, but something isn't right, can't you see that? What if she's the one killing the wolves?" Stiles threw his hands up.

"Why would you possibly think that?"

"She shows up on your door step three days after the first incident and you don't think that's suspect?" Stiles scoffed at the werewolf.

"No, Stiles I don't and I'm not having this conversation. I have a pack meeting to get to and if you're not there, I'm starting without you," Derek turned to leave the room.

"Wait, why'd you come here? Why didn't you send Scott or just call?"

"I did call. You didn't answer. I was worried you were our next victim," With that Derek stalked out the door leaving Stiles searching for his phone.

Sure enough he had three missed calls from Derek. That was the rule, three calls in a row means it's an emergency and you better answer. Oops.

Stiles leaned his head down on the desk with a thunk. If he was wrong about Raven, Derek would never let him forget it, but if he was right and he didn't look into it further, Derek could get hurt.

"Hey, kiddo, what was that about?" Sheriff Stilinski asked suddenly at Stiles' door.

Stiles bolted up in his seat and slammed his laptop closed.

Stiles' dad raised his brows in curiosity.

"Derek was just mad cause I was late to a pack meeting," Stiles said dismissively. His hand still planted protectively on top of the laptop.

"You're never late to pack meetings," Noah commented before reaching over and pulling Stiles' laptop from Stiles' grasp.

"No, wait-" He grimaced as his dad opened to see the FBI database pulled up.

"Stiles, I'm not stupid, I know you do this," Noah waved a hand at the screen, but you do it for good, so I turn a blind eye."

Stiles deflated in his chair, he thought for sure his dad would murder him.

"Who's Raven Oxford?" Noah asked looking at the page his son had pulled up.

"She's this woman that showed up claiming her mother was friends of Talia," Stiles explained grimly.

"Derek's mother?"

Stiles nodded.

"And you don't trust her?"

"Not at all, and Derek won't listen to me. I'm telling you, dad, something doesn't add up. I don't know what it is but..." Stiles trailed off, his hands flailing as he spoke. "Do you think I should stop? Derek wants me to."

"You know what I always tell my new officers? Trust your gut, it's there for a reason. And you Stiles, your gut is never wrong," Noah handed back the laptop with a small smile.

"Thanks dad," Stiles returned the smile. His dad always knew the right thing to say.

-

Stiles knew it was risky showing up at Deaton's without Derek knowing. Derek would be seriously pissed when he learned he was not only not giving up, but also investigating his mother.

"Stiles, what can I do for you?" Deaton asked kindly, allowing Stiles into his office.

"I have a question. Did Talia ever mention anyone by the name of Aundrea Oxford?" Stiles bit at his lower lip as he waited for Deaton's answer.

"Aundrea Oxford? Yes, she was an old friend of Talia's," Deaton nodded with a questioning frown.

Stiles slumped in his seat. That had not been the answer he was hoping for.

"I'm guessing you were hoping for a different answer?" Deaton noted Stiles dismay.

"I just...There's this woman and she showed up on Derek's door claiming to be Aundrea's daughter and that her mother was friends of Talia, so Derek's treating her like part of the pack, but it doesn't feel right," Stiles huffed out. How could he have been so wrong?

"Raven Oxford?" Deaton asked in a tone that made Stiles look up in question.

"Yeah."

"Stiles, Raven died when she was sixteen. She was murdered. It was an Emissary that was lashing out at Aundrea. Leliana. They had been close friends. She wanted to be Aundrea's emissary, but Aundrea had chosen her brother instead. Leliana, in turn promised to have her revenge. She promised Aundrea that she would strike when she least expected it. It took sixteen years but Aundrea finally got her revenge. When Raven turned sixteen her mother grew ill and was to inherit her mother's alpha status. After the transformation Leliana siphoned the spark within Raven. In doing so she took Ravens life, ending the Oxford pack. It darkened Leliana's magic. She became a Darach."

Dread washed over Stiles. If Raven was dead then that meant Leliana was posing as her.