Oh Calamity

Derek closed the door to his apartment behind him as he flipped through the envelopes he'd retrieved from his mailbox. He dropped his keys in the bowl by the door and kicked off his shoes, making his way to the kitchen when he paused upon spotting a gold envelope with his name scrawled in fancy script across the front. His eyes slid to the top corner where he saw Lydia's name.

Ignoring the rest of the mail, he carefully opened the envelope to see an invitation to a baby shower. Lydia and Parrish were expecting.

Derek opened the card, only for a piece of stationary to flitter to the ground. He bent down, picking up the lilac colored page.

It was personally addressed to him.

Dear Derek,

I hope this letter finds you well. Or that's what Jordan said I should say, but what I want to say is I hope you're not dead. Not that we'd ever know cause you never write or call. At least not frequently enough. I know you keep in contact with Cora on occasion but it's not enough. We miss you, Derek. And even though it's been years, and you never come despite all the invites you receive. I'm sending you an invite to my baby shower. You're probably frowning at this letter wondering why. It's because you're important. You'll always be important to all of us, Derek. And I wish you'd get your stupid werewolf ass back here once in a while. I'd hate for Baby Parrish to grow up not knowing it's uncle Derek. Please think about it. You don't have to stay long. Just a small visit would be nice.

Sincerely, Lydia.

Derek glanced over at the small basket he kept on the counter that held invitations he'd been sent over the past few years. Scott's college graduation. Lydia's wedding. Mellissa's wedding. Sherriff Stilinski's retirement party. And now Lydia's baby shower.

All of them had been sent by Lydia, which was no surprise, she was the event planner, always had been. However, Derek had never gone to any of them. He felt it best he stay away. He had left for a reason.

Guilt ate at his gut as he tucked the letter and card back into the gold envelope to store with the others. He couldn't go back. It had been three years.

He stepped towards the basket to put the letter with the others when his eyes caught something on the floor. A picture. He bent over to see that when the letter had slid from the invitation there had been a picture with it as well.

It looked fairly recent. Lydia was pregnant in the picture and everyone was there. Lydia, Jordan, Scott, Malia, Kira, Allison, Isaac, Cora, Boyd, Erica, Liam, and- Derek's chest clutched in agony.

Stiles.

Derek fought a whine at the sight of his pack. He missed them dearly. He missed having a pack. He missed the comfort that came with being surrounded by people. His people.

-

This was a terrible idea. He didn't know why he had talked himself into this. Derek swallowed the anxious lump forming in his throat as he neared Lydia's house. The party was over. Had been for the better part of an hour. He had made sure of that. He didn't want to see everyone. But he wanted to see Lydia. Thank her for the picture. Thank her for always including him. And he wanted the baby to know it's uncle Derek, even if from a distance. He clutched the gift in his hand tightly, hoping the gift would be enough.

He knocked and held his breath. What if he wasn't wanted? What if she'd changed her mind and didn't want Derek to come after all?

The door opened before Derek could retreat to his car.

"Derek," The red head's eyes widened at the sight of the alpha.

Derek forced a smile and shoved the gift forward into her hands. "Congratulations," he turned to leave but she grabbed his arm.