The wolf with emerald green eyes

Stiles knew it was risky sneaking out of the palace. His father would be furious with him if he knew. It was too dangerous with the attacks happening. Three royal carriages had been attacked just that month alone. But Stiles was desperate to get out. He hadn't been outside of the castle walls since the attacks started three months ago. His father tended to worry easily. So when he got news of a masquerade ball being held in Portland, Stiles had begged his father to let him go. Portland was next to Beacon Hills and less than an hours ride. But of course his father had said no. He thought it too risky despite the extra guards King Argent had put out. The Masquerade was put on in hopes of luring out the attackers.

Stiles donned his fox mask before slipping into the hallway. He made his way silently down to the kitchen, which he knew would be empty at this hour. There was an old passage from the kitchen that lead to the garden for the servants to use. It hadn't been used in ages, but Stiles knew where the key was kept and had snagged it earlier in the day.

Once in the garden he was careful to stick to the shadows so as to not alert the guards. He had known he wouldn't be able to slip out of any of the main gate's so he'd leaned an old broken piece of lattice work near one of the south walls to climb over. He tied a rope to one end and threw it over so he would be able to get back inside at the end of the night. Once on the other side of the wall he made his way to where he had tied his horse, Roscoe, up just hours before when the stable guard was busy. The horse had been a gift from his mother before her untimely passing.

The ride was quiet, but the full moon allowed him to see the road easily. He kept to the shadows as much as possible in hopes of avoiding running into anyone.

Less than a mile out, Stiles heard the music of the ball. He urged Roscoe to pick up the pace as his excitement got the best of him.

Stiles handed his horse off to one of the guards nearby before being escorted to the palace door by another.

"Sir," The gentleman at the door greeted with a small bow.

Stiles gave a bow himself before stepping into the grand ball room. Bustling about were dancers and jesters and servers.

"Prince Stiles, I was under the impression you and your father would not be joining up this evening," King Argent spoke approaching Stiles then.

"Your majesty." Stiles jumped in surprise. "What? How did-" Stiles frowned. He'd been careful not to wear the family crest or his royal colors.

"Your ring of course," Argent smiled with a gesture to Stiles hand where a large ring with an S engraved into it sat proudly.

"Of course, well my father decided to stay home, but I couldn't miss the festivities," Stiles gave a polite bow.

King Argent gave a nod, "Tell your father I have missed seeing him and hope he can join the next one. Have a lovely evening Prince Stiles."

"I will your majesty. Thank you." Stiles gave another half curtsey as the king continued on to greet his other guests.

Stiles carefully slipped the ring from his finger and into one of his pockets. He couldn't let anyone else recognize him. He prayed that King Argent didn't speak of this with his father.

Making his way towards one corner he grabbed a goblet of wine along the way. He watched with awe as the dancers slid gracefully along the floor and the jesters performed their tricks. The music was upbeat and beautiful. Stiles had missed attending these parties.

"Not one for dancing?" A voice asked from beside Stiles then, startling him slightly.

He turned to see a man, he did not know was Prince Derek Hale, wearing a black wolf mask. No obvious royal colors or crest could be seen.