Hawaii Five-0

Stiles stood in the garage of is father's house. His eyes scanning the familiar environment before landing on a red toolbox. It was a toolbox Stiles had seen a thousand times, but what caught his eye was the sticker on the front. Champ, was all it said.

A flash from their last conversation hit Stiles.

"Listen to me champ..." Stiles had thought that odd at the moment. His father had never called him 'champ'. It was always 'kid', but Stiles had dismissed it, as there had been a gun to his father's head at the time.

He shoved open the box lid. Inside was a tiny gold key and a tape recorder, amongst other things.

He pressed play and the sound of his father's voice made his chest ache.

"I can't continue this investigation into the police department from the inside. I don't trust the people I work with so I'm gonna have to do this on my own. It's all about the key, I just don't know what it's for."

Stiles quickly pressed stop at the sound of someone inside the house. He wasn't technically supposed to be there as it was a crime scene, but this was his father, his childhood home, and he'd be damned if anyone was going to tell him to stay out. Especially knowing that a non local was heading the investigation.

Stiles put the key and the recorder back into the toolbox and quickly locked it back up as someone opened the garage door.

"You, hands up, don't move," A dark haired man pulled a gun, causing Stiles to reach for his as well.

"Who are you?" Stiles demanded, his gun out and pointing at the man.

"Who are you?" The dark haired man demanded in return. "I am detective Derek Hale."

"Lieutenant commander Stiles Stilinski. This is my house-"

"Put your weapon down right now-"

"No you put your weapon down."

Stiles and Derek's voices both raised as they continued to argue over each other.

"Show me your ID," Stiles demanded taking a step forward.

Derek took a step back, "You show me your ID, right now."

Stiles, the ever stubborn man, stood his ground, "I'm not putting my gun down."

Derek who was just as stubborn, set his jaw, "Neither am I," he growled out.

"Use your free hand, take out your ID," Stiles didn't trust this guy for a second.

"Please, after you," Derek insisted.

"At the same time?" Stiles suggested then. Obviously neither one of them were going to give in.

"At the same time?" Derek sneered at the idea. What were they, children?

"Yeah, at the same time," Stiles snapped back. He was losing his patience with this man.

"What like on the count of three?" Derek was clearly mocking him.

"Sure, okay, three's good," Stiles gave a nod.

Derek pulled one of his hands from his gun so he could reach for his badge, "One."

Stiles followed suit.

"Two," Derek continued. Neither man lowering their gun.

They both held up their badges as Derek reached three.

Finally they holstered their guns.

Stiles took a few steps back towards the tool box.

"Listen I'm really sorry about your father," Derek offered, his voice gentler now, "But you can't be here right now. This is an active crime scene."